Are you interested in a career in Data Science?
Lancaster University has 45 full fee scholarships for MSc programmes in Data Science starting in 2014.
Our one-year MSc programmes allow specialism in statistics, computing or environmental science, with the following key features:
- Interdisciplinary study programme
- Industry Placements
- Excellent career prospects
- Dedicated computer cluster
What is Data Science?
Data Science is the systematic study of information. Data Scientists work with others by taking an initial research or business question and gathering data, from a range of sources, to provide insight and to inform decision making.
The challenges faced by a data scientist include:
- Data sourcing and management
- Data security and integrity
- Dealing with sampling biases and heterogeneity
- Data visualisation
- Statistical modelling and inference
- Performing machine learning to process data at large-scale
- Engineering large-scale computational systems for real time analysis
The Data Scientist's role is to address these challenges in the context of either a business or research organisation.
Email Dr Chris Edwards with general questions about this MSc.
To discuss a specific data science specialism, please contact the relevant Programme Director: