Foundation of Lancaster University
In 1947 a public meeting in Lancaster endorsed a proposal that there might be a university college established in the city. Although the idea lapsed for lack of government funding, in early 1961 it was revived by Lancashire County Council, and a Promotion Committee for a University in North-West Lancashire, chaired by Lord Derby, presented a proposal to the University Grants Committee for Lancaster to be chosen.
On 23 November 1961, an announcement was made in the House of Commons to that effect, and two bodies were set up to bring the new institution to life: an Academic Planning Board, chaired by Sir Noel Hall of Brasenose College, Oxford, and an Executive Council for the Establishment of a University at Lancaster, chaired by Sir Alfred Bates.
The founding vice-chancellor, Charles Carter, came into post on 1 April 1963. In April 1963, it was also announced that a Russian Department was to be formed as a means of studying the language, political system, philosophy and social system within the country.
Innovation was also demonstrated by Charles Carter’s decision to set up a charter against any “discrimination on the grounds of race, colour, politics or any other thing.”
With regard to departments, Lancaster also set a trend. The university developed the first Marketing Department of its kind to be formed in the UK. Of his decision to form the department, Charles Carter commented: