Relocating to Lancaster

Aerial photograph of the campus, with woodlands surrounding it and Morecambe Bay in the distance.

As a global organisation with employees from over 70 countries located in the UK, Europe and Asia we welcome applicants from near and far. Nearly a quarter of our staff are from overseas, and with students from over 100 countries too, our campus is alive with conversations in many languages.

As a highly-ranked global university seeking to attract the best people to help us deliver our strategic goals, we will support people in key positions to relocate and settle themselves, their partners and families in our beautiful part of the country.

Support and advice

Finding somewhere to live

To find places to rent or buy, you can check Right Move which will list available properties from most local estate agents. Use the University’s postcode (LA1 4YW) and set your search radius.

Lancaster University is well connected by road and rail which gives you many options for where you’d like to live - whether you want to live in a city, small town or in the countryside.

If you are not a British or Irish citizen you will need to prove your right to rent to the landlord you are renting from with your share code or immigration documents, find out more details on how to prove your right to rent.

Our team will be happy to recommend locations to search in according to the type of area you’d like and can advise on places and people that you can connect with to help you settle in and find your own communities.

Relocating with a partner or family

Lancaster University is one of the largest employers in the area. Our vacancies are posted on our website, where partners or other adult family members can sign-up for email job alerts.

Our Lancaster campus has its own pre-school for children aged 3 months to 5 years. Other pre-school providers are also available off campus. Primary schools (sometimes called infant and junior schools) are for children aged 4-11 years. Secondary schools are for children aged 11-16 years. Children aged 16-18 years can study A Levels or vocational courses at sixth form centres or further education (FE) colleges. You can find out about nurseries and schools in the local and wider area.

Help with relocation costs

As we look far and wide to attract the best staff to work with us at Lancaster, we have developed support to make the move easier. This includes a generous relocation package (for Grade 6 or above roles with indefinite or two-year or more fixed term contract) if you are moving to take up your position with us - see details below.

Once appointed, we can guide you to find all the essential information and services you will need to live in the area.

If you need financial help with other costs relating to immigration, such as immigration advice, dependent visas/settlement (including citizenship), the NHS surcharge, or the cost of using premium/priority visa services, we might be able to help with an interest-free loan. Once you've been appointed, please speak to our Human Resources (HR) team on +44 (0)1524 510670 (between 9:00-16:00 GMT/BST) or email:

Relocation claim form


Right to work

If you are not a British or Irish citizen, you may need to apply for a visa for the right to work in the UK. Check if you need a visa for the job you’re interested in and how long it will take to process your visa.

If you are successfully appointed to work at Lancaster University, we can reimburse the cost of your Skilled Worker (previously Tier 2) or Global Talent (previously Tier 1) visa application, or your application for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the UK (including costs relating to English language, Life in the UK test, NARIC costs and biometric costs).

Each of the above covers the cost for the applicant/employee only.