Engaging with industry is one of the core principles of the Materials Science Institute. We are keen to offer our extensive expertise in materials research and state-of-the-art facilities to provide solutions for industrially-relevant materials challenges.
We have a dedicated Business Partnerships team who can put together different packages to suit the needs of external organisations wishing to work with the university. They can also assist in identifying and procuring support for joint projects from funding bodies and charities.
The exact formats of collaborative projects can be tailored to meet the specific requirements of the external partner. Examples of joint research project opportunities include:
- Seed funding for short proof of concept projects through Lancaster University Impact Acceleration Account
- Joint applications for collaborative project funding through INNOVATE UK via Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
- Funding or co-funding of 3.5 year PhD studentships to investigate a particular question in detail - ideal for fundamental or proof-of-concept studies
- Funding or co-funding of post-doctoral researchers to work on projects in Materials Science Institute laboratories - ideal for development or follow-on projects
- Employees of partner organisations can undertake research placements through the collaborative Technology Access Programme with full access to Lancaster synthetic and analytical facilities