Work with Us
We work with organisations of all sizes in many ways, including contract and collaborative research, supporting student projects, placements and internships, training, guest lectures and events for businesses.
Engaging with industry is one of the core principles of the Materials Science Institute. We are keen to offer our extensive expertise in materials research and state-of-the-art facilities to provide solutions for industrially-relevant materials challenges.
We have a dedicated Business Partnerships team who can put together different packages to suit the needs of external organisations wishing to work with the university. They can also assist in identifying and procuring support for joint projects from funding bodies and charities.
The exact formats of collaborative projects can be tailored to meet the specific requirements of the external partner. Examples of joint research project opportunities include:
- Seed funding for short proof of concept projects through Lancaster University Impact Acceleration Account
- Joint applications for collaborative project funding through INNOVATE UK via Knowledge Transfer Partnerships
- Funding or co-funding of 3.5 year PhD studentships to investigate a particular question in detail - ideal for fundamental or proof-of-concept studies
- Funding or co-funding of post-doctoral researchers to work on projects in Materials Science Institute laboratories - ideal for development or follow-on projects
- Employees of partner organisations can undertake research placements through the collaborative Technology Access Programme with full access to Lancaster synthetic and analytical facilities
Greater Innovation for Smarter Materials Optimisation (GISMO)
Over 250 innovative SMEs in Cheshire and Warrington will benefit from the £4.4 million Greater Innovation for Smarter Materials Optimisation (GISMO) programme, part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund. GISMO provides cutting-edge ideas and solutions to put your business ahead of the curve in the use, design and manufacture of materials. Use it to improve the performance of surfaces and coatings, chemicals and chemistry in your products and processes, and to develop your capabilities in additive manufacturing.
GISMO gives you fully funded access to the materials science experts at Lancaster University who will help you to:
- Find new materials for your products
- Test and develop your products, processes and business ideas
- Trial new technologies and processes
- Develop and build prototypes
- Understand developments in materials science
If you want to put your ideas, materials, products and processes to the test, contact us to find out more about the project: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Materials Science Institute is pleased to announce that we are collaborating with Lancaster Material Analysis Ltd and Bruker Ltd to offer free pilot studies of materials with BEXP+SPM for a limited period of time.
For more details, or to discuss your sample analysis request, please contact:
Bruker Surface Analysis
Lancaster Materials Analysis Ltd
Lancaster University partners with Bruker UK Ltd and LMA Ltd to pioneer nanoscale property mapping of subsurface and buried layers of materials and devices via scanning probe microscopy. We are now offering a free access to test this new pioneering analysis on your samples.
An Ideal Location
Lancashire is in the Northwest of England and has a large and diverse economy consisting of a strong mix of over 35,000 registered companies representing all sectors of the UK economy. Lancaster is well connected by road and rail to Manchester and Liverpool. London is just a 2.5-hour train ride away. Consistently rated as one of the top 10 UK universities, Lancaster has established an excellent track record in its knowledge transfer activities, which aim to bring universities, businesses and communities together.
We invite local small and medium enterprises, large organisations, the public sector and academic researchers to discover how our expertise and capability could underpin their future successes, and form enduring partnerships with the Materials Science Institute to gain a technological and competitive advantage.
Access a specialist team to help build partnerships
Our award-winning Business Enterprise and Engagement team can help your organisation achieve its goals through sharing knowledge, resources, contacts and providing access to funded research and development through:
- Collaborative research
- Student engagement
- Facilities for research and development
- Professional training
- Commercialisation of intellectual property
Our research partnerships with industry include work in the following areas:
- Robust plastic manufacture
- Materials analysis at low temperatures
- Scanning probe microscopy
- Cross-sectional imaging and analysis
- Nano-scale security technology
- Ceramic-based friction materials
- Rapid prototyping
- Selective laser sintering
- 3D printing for product development
We have worked on a wide range of projects such as bespoke display units, product casing for sensors, and tidal turbines.
Our partnerships extend beyond business and include a diverse range of public and private sector organisations at regional, national and international level. These range from NHS trusts and Police forces to local authorities, UK and international governments.
“Work with us and discover how new materials are changing the world and providing scientific and commercial opportunities.”
cTAP Programme Manager
We can tap into expertise from across the University and our external collaborative partners across these areas:
- Advanced manufacturing
- Health and human development
- Information and communication technology, including data science
- Leadership and management
- Quantum technology
- Security including cyber security
- Social sciences
Lab and office space on campus for collaboration
We have a huge range of cutting-edge facilities for collaborative research and development, including lab space, office space and hot desks. Our award-winning buildings enable high-tech businesses to co-locate onto the University campus and work alongside our world-leading researchers in a unique collaborative environment.