Thursday 29 February 2024, 3:45pm to 5:00pm
Open toExternal Organisations
RegistrationFree to attend - registration required
To register please sign up via eventbrite: https://madebythemoon.eventbrite.co.uk
Bring 'Made by the Moon' to your own school and personalise it for the learning needs of your children!
You are invited to learning more about a cross-curricular learning opportunity to help:
• Develop oracy through oral storytelling
• Engage your pupils in enquiry-led learning linked to the National Curriculum
• Engage your pupils in enquiry-based learning that inspires change
• Develop place-based learning
• Plan learning that inspire children to ‘notice’ their surroundings
• Develop learning that fosters an emotional relationship between child and locality
• Provide opportunities for outdoor learning
• Develop creative opportunities which will also impact positively on outcomes
• Plan learning that gives children agency
A project has previously been run twice successfully in the Lancaster and Morecambe area.
• School staff reported an overwhelmingly positive response from the children and were generally very pleased with the way they had taken to the story, made it their own and became absorbed in the many possible learning opportunities which were generated by it, sometimes taking it off in directions the adults hadn’t thought of. E.g .becoming interested in the curlews as well as other creatures and habitats (eg bees) and geological aspects dinosaurs and fossils and the giants causeway.
• There was surprise at how many children did not know they lived in the Morecambe Bay area
‘I’ve been to Morecambe but I’ve never been to Morecambe Bay’
• Teachers increased their confidence regarding oral storytelling (as opposed to reading from a book. One class clapped their teacher after she did it the first time and have continued to respond in the same way whenever anyone (adult or child) tells an oral story.
• Some schools booked the author and storyteller Emily Hennessey to come and work with their children – to great reviews.
Come and join us online for more information on how to:
• Bring 'Made by the Moon' to your own school
• Personalise it for the learning needs of your children
• Be part of a community of teachers exploring and developing all of the above.