What Will You Study
The MA in History at Lancaster University provides an exciting, stimulating study experience for students wishing to develop their knowledge of History and their skills in historical research.
An area of strength of the degree is its engagement with heritage, public history and education. The Department of History prides itself on its placement and consultancy modules which allow students to build skills in heritage studies and public engagement. Our placement partners for the Heritage and Public History Placement module include the Norton Priory Trust in Runcorn, the North Craven Heritage Trust and the Senhouse Museum Trust. Critical Heritage Studies combines academic seminars with field-trips to museums in the region. The skills component for this module includes training in the use of audio-visual recording equipment and editing software in order to explore new media for public engagement. The programme also includes an opportunity to undertake an assessed placement in either a primary or secondary school.
Another area of strength that the programme has is the development of original and in-depth research projects. The programme emphasises excellence in research training and offers skills courses in, for example, research design, digital humanities, palaeography and Medieval Latin. The MA programme allows students to choose to write either a short (15,000 word) or long (25,000 word) dissertation on a research project of their own design, working closely with a supervisor over the course of the academic year.
(Subject to change, and not all available in a given year)
- Critical Heritage Studies
- How Historians Understand and Explain
- Researching and Writing History
- History for Life
- Advanced Cultural History
- Advanced Political History
- Historical Approaches to Locality and Region
- Beyond the Text: Literature, Image and Voice as Historical Evidence
- Heritage and Public History Placement
- Digital Humanities
- Sources for Medieval History and Palaeography
- Medieval Primary Sources - Genre, Rhetoric and Transmission
- Medieval Latin Translation for Historians
- Landscape and Heritage
- Historical Consultancy
- School Placement (primary or secondary)