Lancaster's Biomedical Science degree is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and provides a thorough grounding in the theory and laboratory techniques associated with Biomedical Science - a subject dealing with the study of life processes within the context of human health and disease.
Taught jointly with clinical and biomedical staff from local hospitals, our Biomedical Science degree is a very structured scheme in which all modules are compulsory. Our degree is designed to focus on the key aspects of modern day biomedicine. It is ideal for students with a broad interest in human life processes and disease as teaching places an emphasis on the molecules and mechanisms fundamental to life processes and how these are disrupted by disease.
You'll begin your degree with the study of 15 wide-ranging modules, including an Introduction to Biomedical Science, Biomedicine and Society, and Diagnosis in Biomedical Science.
In the second year of your course, you'll move on to study subjects such as Biochemistry, Cellular Pathology, and Medical Microbiology. Finally, in this highly specialised degree scheme, you'll focus even more on aspects of human disease by taking modules in Cancer, Medical Genetics, and Pathobiology.
As part of your Biomedical Science degree, you will also carry out a laboratory-based project and can draw on the expertise of our academic staff who have vast biomedical research experience. This includes research into skin, colorectal, breast and prostate cancers; Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases; arthritis; hydrocephalus and other human conditions and diseases.
- Biological Sciences : MSci Hons
- Pre-medical Studies : Certificate of Higher Education
- Biomedical Science : BSc Hons
- Biochemistry with Biomedicine : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Cell Biology : BSc Hons
- Cell Biology (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Biological Sciences with Biomedicine : BSc Hons
- Biology with Psychology : BSc Hons
- Biochemistry : BSc Hons
- Biomedicine : BSc Hons
- Biochemistry (Study Abroad) : BSc Hons
- Biomedicine : MSci Hons
- Biochemistry with Genetics : BSc Hons