Friday 27 November 2020, 2:00pm to 3:00pm
Open toPostgraduates, Staff, Undergraduates
RegistrationFree to attend - registration required
Registration InfoRegistration required
Join other University staff and students who have read Natives: Race & Class in the Ruins of Empire to discuss the book...
Join other University staff and students who have read Natives: Race & Class in the Ruins of Empire to discuss the book.
Reading Groups will be facilitated by a member of Library staff or another willing volunteer. Reading Groups will take place online using MS Teams, and a link will be sent to you after registration.
These are open to Lancaster University staff and students as part of our Black History Month and Decolonising the University initiatives. They will focus on the ideas in the book and our responses to them, rather than an academic discussion.Reading Group guidelines
We want the reading groups to be enjoyable and inclusive for everyone involved. Therefore, we have esatablished some guidelines for members that we can agree to.
- Come prepared having read the book and possibly with notes for discussion
- Listen and make sure everyone has an opportunity to speak
- Try not to interrupt others while they are sharing opinions
- It's okay to disagree so long as it's done respectfully
- Keep on topic, but feel free to introduce information that is relevant to the discussion such as historical facts, biographical details, book background, related authors or topics etc.
- Avoid inappropriate or offensive language
- Respect the authority of the reading group lead/moderator
You'll be asked to agree to these before registering for a reading group, and we will briefly discuss them at the start with all participants. The facilitator has the right to uphold the guidelines during the reading group meeting.