What Will You Study
This scheme combines modules in hydrology, water quality and ecology with a research project tailored towards developing skills relevant to a career in the water sector, either in the UK or mainland Europe.
You will be taught by world experts in the field, including staff from the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (within the Lancaster Environment Centre) and industry leader JBA Consulting.
Your specialised project will benefit from our strong research links with organisations such as Dwr Cymru Welsh Water, United Utilities, JBA Consulting, the Environment Agency, Defra and the UK Government Research Councils. Some projects involve placements within the organisations.
As an MSc SWM student you become an associate member of the LEC Water and Soil Sciences Group and are invited to all of our research and social activities.
- Dissertation Project
plus, choose at least four from
- Catchment Protection (field course)
- Environmental Management
- Flood Forecasting and Flood Risk Management
- Groundwater Resources and Protection
- Lake Ecology
- Modelling Environmental Processes
- One of six modules on river, floodplain and coastal risk management taught by JBA Consulting
Two optional modules from the following (subject to change)
- Behaviour of Pollutants in the Environment
- Conservation Biology
- Contaminated Land and Remediation
- Data Assimilation and Integration
- Environmental Applications of Isotope Geochemistry
- Environmental Auditing
- Environmental Sampling and Analysis for Trace Organics
- Food Security, Agriculture and Climate Change
- Geological Hazards
- Habitat Management
- International Environmental Law
- Perspectives on Environment and Development
- Pollution Microbiology
- Renewable Energy
- Sustainable Soil Management