We offer a wide range of adaptations within our accommodation.
Our adapted accommodation
We currently have a variety of rooms in our portfolio that are designed for disabled students. They include the following:
- Wheelchair accessible rooms for students with mobility needs. Larger bathrooms may accompany these in Superior Ensuite areas with handrails and shower seat, and the kitchens contain some adaptations for wheelchair users.
- Vibrating pillow/flashing beacon available for students with total or partial hearing loss.
- High contrast fittings for students with visual impairments.
- Bathroom adaptations for students with mobility needs that don't require a wheelchair.
- Rooms for ambulant disabled students who may require extra space but who do not require additional adaptations.
- An adapted self-contained studio for a student who desires to be more self-contained.
What to do next
If you have special requirements, please discuss them with a Disability Adviser. When you apply for accommodation you should also note these requirements on your application.
If you discuss your needs with us as early as possible we can try and match your requirements to suitable accommodation. If further adaptations are needed we can arrange these within a reasonable timeframe, hence it is important that you contact us as early as possible.
If you will have a live-in helper we can arrange to accommodate them close by, though you would need to provide details when you apply.
Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans
Students who feel they would have difficulty evacuating the accommodation in the event of a fire alarm should arrange for a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) to be prepared for them, and you should contact your Accommodation Manager about this as soon as possible when you arrive. Please note that if you can’t evacuate without assistance you must arrange to have 24 hour care for yourself. We will be unable to provide you with a PEEP without this, and therefore unable to offer you a place in University managed accommodation.
The Disability Service is part of Student Services, and is on hand to assist you as you prepare to come to Lancaster.