Please apply using the My Applications online system.
The next programme start date is January, 2022.
The cohort size does not normally exceed 30.
Initial closing date for applications is 30th November, 2021. Applications received after this date will be considered, on a first-come-first served basis, until the Programme is full.
Please apply using the online system My Applications .
As this is a PhD by coursework and thesis we do not require a research proposal at this stage: however, we do request a personal statement and writing sample.
Alternatively, application forms can be obtained from:
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Telephone: +44 (0)1524 510880
Fax: +44 (0)1524 510857
For admission to this version of the programme applicants should normally have:
- a good honours degree from a British university or CNAA, and a good Master's degree; or
- qualifications of a comparable standard from a university or recognised degree awarding body in another country.
Applicants should normally have at least three years' experience of teaching, research, staff development, management, administration or related function in the higher education sector. The higher education sector is broadly conceived and includes higher education institutions, national agencies responsible higher education (such as quality assurance agencies), ministries responsible for higher education or research, non-governmental organisations working in higher education, networks and associations in higher education, and other institutions.
In judging applications, special attention is paid to the comments made by referees. Although your referees may be from a professional context, having an academic referee who can comment on your capacity for independent research and study as well as your ability to complete tasks to a deadline is extremely helpful.
Please see the section on ‘what to include’ for more information on the evidence that is required for admission to this programme.
Applicants will need to have an acceptable fluency in written and spoken English.
For students whose first language is not English, an English Language Test Certificate will be required, that is, IELTS Academic with an overall score of 6.5 with at least 6.0 for reading and writing.
Further information can be found at: English Language Requirements.
Because this is a doctoral programme by coursework and thesis, we do not require a research proposal from applicants. However, the personal statement should contain the following:
- A statement of where you are currently employed, and in what capacity;
- An explanation of how you fulfil the criteria of having at least three years’ experience in the higher education sector;
- A statement of reasons for applying for this programme in particular;
- A statement of how you will benefit from this programme;
- Any evidence or examples of achieving goals and meeting deadlines in a comparable area in the past;
- Any evidence or examples to indicate successful engagement in collaborative tasks (as this is an aspect of the programme's approach);
- Any evidence or examples of the ability to think and write analytically.
Please provide a piece of writing, in English, that you have produced in the past and which best demonstrates the following characteristics:
- The ability to respond in a focused way to a specific question, remit or task;
- The ability to express ideas in an accessible way;
- The ability to structure a document in a clear and logical manner.
The document must have been produced by you alone. It may be something academic (perhaps for a prior qualification such as a Masters dissertation) or could be a policy document, a guidance document or some other form (perhaps produced in your professional role) which demonstrates the three characteristics above. If the document is accessible online, you may also provide us with a link to it.