This theme focuses on investigating health and disease to develop improved diagnostics and technologies for enhanced quality of life. It aims to explore how artificial intelligence and autonomous systems may be developed and applied to patient data sets, laboratory-based data collection, large spectroscopic data and data from emerging technologies for efficient and robust analysis, interpretation and diagnosis. Thus, the scope is wide and encompasses a range of experimental and analytical approaches. This theme aligns with the development of the health innovation campus and the Health theme within the Data Science Institute. This alignment aims to strengthen connections and collaborations in these areas across all faculties at Lancaster University.
- Bergström I, Kerns JG, Goodship AE, Windahl SH. Compressive Loading Reveals Local Changes in Bone Maturation Levels. Osteoporosis International2017, 28:1121-1131.
- Ranzoni AM, Corcelli M, Hau KL, Kerns JG*, Vanleene M, Shefelbine S, Jones GN, Moschidou D, Dala-Ali B, Goodship AE, Arnett TR, Guillot PV. Counteracting bone fragility with amniotic fluid-derived fetal stem cells. Scientific Reports 2016, 6: 39656.
- Kerns JG*, Buckley K, Churchwell J, Parker AW, Matousek P, Goodship AE. Is the collagen primed for mineralisation in specific regions of the Turkey Tendon? An Investigation of the protein-mineral interface using Raman Spectroscopy. Analytical Chemistry 2016; 88(3): 1559-63.
- Sowoidnich, K, Churchwell, JH, Buckley, K, Kerns, JG*, Goodship AE, Parker AW, Matousek P. Spatially Offset Raman Spectroscopy for photon migration investigations in long bone; Proceedings of SPIE Biomedical Optics; 2015; 9540, 1–7.
- Buckley K, Kerns JG*, Vinton J, Gikas PD, Smith C, Parker AW, Matousek P, Goodship A. E. Towards the in vivo prediction of fragility fractures with Raman spectroscopy. Journal of Raman spectroscopy; 2015; 46; 610-618.
- Evangelou E, Warren HR, Mosen-Ansorena D, Mifsud B, Pazoki R, Gao H et al. Genetic analysis of over 1 million people identify 535 new loci associated with blood pressure traits. Nature Genetics. 2018 Sep 17.
- Saeed U, Mirza SS, MacIntosh BJ, Herrmann N, Keith J, Ramirez J et al. APOE-ε4 associates with hippocampal volume, learning, and memory across the spectrum of Alzheimer's disease and dementia with Lewy bodies. Alzheimer's and Dementia. 2018 Sep;14(9):1137-1147.
- Patel S, Patel R, Park MTM, Masellis M, Knight J, Chakravarty MM. Heritability estimates of cortical anatomy: The influence and reliability of different estimation strategies. NeuroImage. 2018 Sep;178:78-91.
- Ni G, Gratten J, Wray NR, Lee SH, Knight J, Schizophrenia Working Group of the Psychiatric Genomics Consortium. Age at first birth in women is genetically associated with increased risk of schizophrenia. Scientific Reports. 2018 Jul 5;8(1). 10168.
- Ni G, Moser G, Wray NR, Lee SH, Knight J, Schizophrenia Working Group of the Psychiatric Genomics Consortium. Estimation of Genetic Correlation via Linkage Disequilibrium Score Regression and Genomic Restricted Maximum Likelihood. American Journal of Human Genetics. 2018 Jun 7;102(6):1185-1194.
- £85,793: J Kerns; Academy of Medical Sciences, 18 months; May 2018-Oct 2019. ‘How does gene and protein expression, of collagen, affect the chemical and material properties of osteoarthritic bone?’
- £90,134 (to Lancaster University; £158k total): 2016, 12 months; J Kerns; Innovate UK. ‘Combined Novel 3D Cell Culture and Biospectroscopy; personalising Osteoporosis therapeutics’. Collaboration with Revivocell.
- £900, A Che; Material Science Institute (MSI) small grant scheme, 2019: Developing in vitro model of osteoarthritic osteoblast using MG63 cell line.
- Canadian $99,721, J Knight, 2017-19; Canadian Institute of Health Research: Do men and women differ in how pharmacogenetics optimises smoking cessation therapy?
- $150,000, J Knight, 2017-20; Alzheimer’s Association and Brain Canada: Neuroinflammatory susceptibility to vascular disease as a dementia driver.
- £83,331.20, J Knight, 2016-2019; Wellcome Trust: Multiple lines of evidence will improve power to identify genes: multiple lines of evidence will improve power to identify genes involved in complex traits.
- £77,264, A Gadoud, 2019-20; Sir John Fisher Foundation: The use of data science to improve end-of-life care