The focus of research within the Security and Defence Theme is on the development of new methods and algorithms for real-time computer vision, object detection and identification; autonomous aerial, ground-based and amphibious UAV/drones systems, secure communications and related applications. The theme received a number of funded projects from EPSRC, EU, Innovate, MoD and various Defence companies, like BAE Systems, Thales, QinetiQ.
Security and Defence
Professor Qiang NiProfessor
Cyber Security Research Centre (Communications), DSI - Foundations, Lancaster Intelligent, Robotic and Autonomous Systems Centre, SCC (Communication Systems), Security Lancaster, Security Lancaster (Academic Centre of Excellence), Security Lancaster (Cyber Security)
Dr Keivan NavaieSenior Lecturer,
Lancaster Intelligent, Robotic and Autonomous Systems Centre, SCC (Communication Systems)
- Collaborative Technology Hardened for Hazardous Environments, funded by Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund/Innovate UK
January 2018 - December 2019, £1.4M (£391K for Lancaster); partners: QinetiQ, Nuvia, Fortis, BMR
- Intelligent Video Analytics for Fast, Safe boarding on rail platforms
29 March 2017 - 28 March 2018, funded by RSSB-UK (£109,375); extended by a 3-month Impact Acceleration Award (£9k; April-July 2018)
- Cooperative Localisation and Distributed Control of UAV Swarms
January - June 2017, funded by DSTL, £79,979
- Early Detection of Insider Threats by Autonomous Analysis of User Behaviour Evolution
Funded by GCHQ, July 2015-Dec 2018, £96,924
- Global ATM Security Management
Funded by EC (total 10M Euros; £562,955 for Lancaster), Nov 2014-Sept 2017
- DLINK - D-band Wireless Link with Fibre Data Rate
January 2019 - December 2021, funded by EPSRC, £432K.
- Travelling Wave Tube-based W-band Wireless Networks with High Data Rate, Distribution, Spectrum and Energy Efficiency
January 2015 - September 2018, funded by EU H2020, 3.3M Euros.
- Effective Cooperative Multicast towards 5G Non-Orthogonal Multiple Access Systems
March 2018 - March 2020, funded by The Royal Society, £12,000
- Advancing the state of the art of MIMO: The key to the successful evolution of wireless networks
2016 - 2020, funded by EU H2020, 1M Euros.
- Improving wireless information security: Improving wireless information security by using physical layer dynamics
March 2015 - March 2017, funded by The Royal Society, £12,000
- J. Shi, L. Lv, Q. Ni, H. Pervaiz, C. Paoloni. "Modeling and Analysis of Point-to-Multipoint Millimeter-Wave Backhaul Networks", IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 18, Issue 1, pp. 268 – 285, January 2019.
- M. Eiza, Q. Shi, A. Marnerides, T. Owens, Q. Ni. "Efficient, Secure and Privacy-Preserving PMIPv6 Protocol for V2G Networks", IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 68, Issue 1, pp. 19 – 33, Jan 2019.
- B. He, Q. Ni, J. Chen, L. Yang, L. Lv. “User-Pair Selection in Multiuser Cooperative Networks with an Untrusted Relay”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 68, Issue 1, pp. 869 – 882, Jan 2019.
- M. Ling, K. Yau, J. Qadir, Q. Ni. "A Reinforcement Learning-based Trust Model for Cluster Size Adjustment Scheme in Distributed Cognitive Radio Networks", IEEE Transactions on Cognitive Communications and Networking, 2019.
- G. Wu, L. Liu, Y. Guo, G. Ding, J. Han, Q. Ni, L. Shao. "Unsupervised Deep Video Hashing via Balanced Code for Large-Scale Video Retrieval", IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 28, Issue 4, pp. 1993 – 2007, Apr 2019.
- Y. Hao, Q. Ni, H. Li, S. Hou. “Robust Multi-Objective Optimization for EE-SE Tradeoff in D2D Communications Underlaying Heterogeneous Networks”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 66, Issue 10, pp. 4936 – 4949, Oct 2018.
- W. Yu, L. Musavian, Q. Ni. “Link-Layer Capacity of NOMA Under Statistical Delay QoS Guarantees”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 66, Issue 10, pp. 4907 – 4922, Oct 2018.
- S. Li, Q. Ni, Y. Sun, G. Min, S. Al-Rubaye. “Energy-Efficient Resource Allocation for Industrial Cyber-Physical IoT Systems in 5G Era”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 14, Issue 6, pp. 2618 – 2628, June 2018.
- J. Xiao, C. Yang, A. Anpalagan, Q. Ni, M. Guizani. “Joint Interference Management in Ultra-Dense Small Cell Networks: A Multi-Domain Coordination Perspective”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 66, Issue 11, pp. 5470 – 5481, Nov 2018.
- L. Hu, Q. Ni. “IoT-Driven Automated Object Detection Algorithm for Urban Surveillance Systems in Smart Cities”, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol. 5, Issue 2, pp. 747 – 754, April 2018.
- L. Yin, Q. Ni, Z. Deng. “A GNSS/5G Integrated Positioning Methodology in D2D Communication Networks”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 36, Issue 2, pp. 351-362, February 2018.
- H. Munir, H. Pervaiz, S. Hassan, L. Musavian, Q. Ni, M. Imran, R. Tafazolli. “Computationally Intelligent Techniques for Resource Management in mmWave Small Cell Networks”, IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 25, Issue 4 pp. 32–39, Aug 2018.
- S. Naqvi, S. Hassan, H. Pervaiz, Q. Ni. “Drone-aided Communication as a Key Enabler for 5G and Resilient Public Safety Networks”, IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 36-42, Jan 2018.
- X. Lu, Q. Ni, W. Li, H. Zhang. "Dynamic User Grouping and Joint Resource Allocation with Multi-Cell Cooperation for Uplink Virtual MIMO Systems", IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 16, Issue 6, pp. 3854 – 3869, June 2017.
- C. Yang, J. Li, Q. Ni, A. Anpalagan, M. Guizani. "Interference-Aware Energy Efficiency Maximization in 5G Ultra-Dense Networks", IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 65, Issue 2, pp. 728 – 739, Feb 2017.
- T. Wu, W. Dou, Q. Ni. "Mobile Live Video Streaming Optimization via Crowdsourcing Brokerage", IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Vol. 19, Issue 10, pp. 2267 – 2281, Oct 2017.
- M. Eiza, Q. Ni. "Driving with Sharks: Rethinking Connected Vehicles with Vehicle Cybersecurity ", IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, Vol. 12, Issue 2, pp. 45 – 51, June 2017.