TopSpin can be installed as a virtualised application on any University-managed Windows machine, or locally on your own PC on either Windows, MacOS or Linux.
How to install TopSpin 3 locally (all platforms)
TopSpin 3 is currently free for academic use (registration required), and this software can be installed on to both University-managed and personal machines. Before doing anything else, you need to have "proper" admin rights requested via ISS. While local admin rights are enough for the initial installation, they are not enough for the initial configuration step.
The files for installing it are stored in: \\silo\FST\CH\NMR\Software\TopSpin, but if you have any problems contact Dr Geoffrey Akien.
The below instructions refer to TopSpin versions 3.5 patch level 7 (3.5pl7). If a new patch level of TopSpin has been released since then, the numbers may be slightly different but the instructions will almost certainly be the same. Note that the current version is 3.6.0, but owing to a change in licensing this is not available for free for academic users anymore - if you want something newer then install TopSpin 4.
- Ensure you have admin rights.
- Obtain the correct installation files for your needs - currently the "TS3.5pl7 (free)" folder.
- Open the correct installer for your OS: Windows - "install.cmd"; MacOS - "TopSpin-3.5pl7.dmg"; Linux - "install".
- Click "Yes" to all the dialogues, and close the "rellet.pdf" file when it is opened to allow the installation to continue. Accept the default location and select "customise". We want: TopSpin, CMC-a (optional), NMR-Sim, NMR-Data (optional), FlexLM, NMR-Guide (useful), Dynamics Center (optional but highly recommended if you ever intend to do DOSY experiments).
- Accept the default NMR Super User (should be the username you are currently logged in with). You can leave the password field empty for convenience on your own computer.
- Accept the default locations for the example data and FlexLM, and say yes to configure the firewall automatically - FlexLM won't work properly otherwise! It takes approximately 10-15 minutes to install completely.
- Copy the license.dat file into the right place: Windows - "C:\flexlm\Bruker\licenses"; Linux: "\opt\flexlm\Bruker\licenses". For MacOS use Finder and open "TopSpin Utilities", "Applications", and run "Install License", telling it the location of the license file.
- The first time you open TopSpin it will prompt you to run "expinstall". Accept the defaults - it will take 1-5 minutes to set this up. If you only have local admin rights you'll get "Access error 5" - go and request them from ISS before trying this step again.
Note that 3.5pl6 has issues with Sierra (MacOS 10.12), but these can be fixed with the files provided by Bruker (registration required): https://www.bruker.com/cgi-bin/bkb/show_bug.cgi?id=13882. This does not appear to have been resolved in 3.5pl7.
Alternatively, the same files are located in the "TS3.5pl6 - MacOS patches" sub-folder.
Note that officially TopSpin 3 installations are only supported on CentOS, but it is possible to install it on Ubuntu with some work.
A summary of these instructions will be included here in the future, but be aware that these are likely to not necessarily work with your particular version of your particular flavour of Linux. In particular, TopSpin uses 32-bit libraries for some applications, and the handling of these libraries in different 64-bit distributions can be rather varied - YMMV!
We have licenses for 20 simultaneous users of TopSpin and CMC-assist, and two licenses for fully-featured NUS processing. Those two NUS licenses are checked in and out as you process your data, so if you can't process your NUS data immediately, try again in a minute or so's time.
The 21st person to launch TopSpin will revert to the free for academic use licensing. They will be unable to use CMC-assist, to process 3D and higher NUS data, and NUS reconstructions will use a different algorithm (IST). This is unlikely to affect most users.