What Will You Study
The Earth's resources are under strain from a growing population. Now, more than ever, we need to monitor, manage and maintain our environment. This vocationally relevant Masters provides you with an in-depth critical understanding of today’s major environmental challenges.
You can keep your learning broad or you can specialise in one of four areas: Water, Energy, Food Security or Pollution. There are specific core modules for each specialist area:
- Water: Lake Ecology plus a choice of 5 others
- Energy: Low-Carbon Energy Use; Environmental Aspects of Renewable Energy plus a choice of 4 others
- Food Security: Food Security, Agriculture and Climate Change; Crop Protection; Sustainable Soil Management plus a choice of 3 others
- Pollution: Chemical Risk Assessment; Contaminated Land and Remediation; Behaviour of Pollutants in the Environment plus a choice of 3 others
Several modules include field trips to the beautiful and topographically varied countryside around Lancaster, and beyond.
All options include a dissertation project, which will enhance your practical and analytical skills and give you the chance to apply your learning to a real-world challenge. Our many research projects and partners across the globe provide exciting possibilities when you are choosing your dissertation subject. Alternatively you can do a six month research placement with a private sector company, government body or voluntary sector organisation instead of a traditional dissertation. Examples of previous dissertations include:
- Using acoustic surveys to assess rainforest mammal communities
- Plant productivity and nutrient use efficiency under diffuse solar radiation
- The geopolitics of deep-sea mining
- Urban deprivation and flood exposure in the Brazilian Amazon
- Go Wild – How much carbon could we gain by re-wilding the uplands?
- More crop per drop: does “little and often” improve crop water use efficiency
This very popular course will equip you to pursue a broad range of careers including environmental monitoring, resource management and consultancy.