Through disruptive innovation, we will bring lasting change, both within the University and the library sector. We’ll be active in areas that are not traditionally seen as library business.
Achieving our vision
Examples of how we are addressing the Innovative Sustainable theme within our vision and our future plans.
Tab Content: Academic year 2021-22
- Undertook the Alterline library life Pulse survey and follow-up consultations to inform our approach to managing study space and library wellbeing activities, engagement with research and teaching, and use of resource lists.
- Ensured the sustainable provision of collections by leading on national negotiations with Elsevier as part of the N8. Extended access to library resources through introduction of Rapid ILL and contributions to Jisc Library Hub.
- Provided employment and development opportunities for students as mentors, tutors and ambassadors, through internships, kickstart scheme and placements. Partnered with the Careers service, delivering presentations, talks and developing an online tutorial for library employability resources.
- Launched a development partnership with EBSCO to develop Panorama analytics dashboards, which will incorporate data from various systems and sources to facilitate holistic data analysis and drive evidence-based practice.
- Hosted activities and events that showcase and encourage debate about environmental sustainability, including the Library festival, Eco Challenge finale, FST science week.
Tab Content: Academic year 2022-23
- Launch Panorama dashboards for e-resource usage, annual SCONUL statistics return, and analysis of the impact of Read & Publish deals.
- Use and promote the Content and Scholarship budget to support OA monograph publishing and non-funded article publishing.
- Take a leading role at a sector level, guiding/advising publishers e.g. joining the council for IEEE and the Clarivate Customer Advisory Board.
- Develop a reading list strategy & promote effective use of Resource lists in supporting teaching & learning.
- Develop promotion and support for referencing and reference management tools.
- Take forward the vision for the library research labs with a range of collaborative activity for researchers, including co-delivery of sessions.
- Partner with Green Lancaster and as part of the University sustainability group on environmental sustainability, including establishing the library as a warm hub.