We will position the library where there is no separation between digital and physical, inhabiting and engaging across both spaces.
Achieving our vision
Examples of how we are addressing the Digital Physical theme within our vision and our future plans.
Tab Content: Academic year 2021-22
- Created a leisure reading area and refurbished the Library PG space, increased digital capabilities including a digital studio, hybrid research and events spaces, digital screens and pop-up library equipment.
- Undertook significant work to improve layout and signage for print collections while extending electronic resource collections, including extensive primary source collections, Overdrive leisure reading collections and Cyber Security resources.
- Established Supported Learning area as a base for Learning Development and Faculty Librarian provision, extended hybrid teaching and learning offer, including for PG students. Launched the Library Information Literacy Programme.
- Installed the SafePod and extended open research provision, improving workflows for open access with Jisc Publications Router.
- Developed extensive library and learning development presence on the student portal and redeveloped the library website. Created a range of high-quality online teaching and learning tutorials and resources in partnership with students.
- Launched the Lancaster Digital Collections platform, added new collections and partnered with researchers to establish new research collections. Extended access to and increased discoverability of our Special Collections and Archives.
Tab Content: Academic year 2022-23
- Undertake further developments in the building, including in the Welcome area on A Floor, the basement areas and archives
- Develop the Lancaster Digital Collections platform and add further collections
- Embed our new Collection Development and Management policy and undertake further work on print collections
- Launch and further develop the Lean Library tool to promote resource discovery
- Undertake a project to introduce LinkedIn Learning across the University
- Develop online teaching and learning resources and create additional pathways for the Library and Information Literacy Programme
- Procure and implement a new institutional repository for research outputs and datasets
- Implement Jisc Data Monitor and begin building a data registry for LU research datasets
- Develop shared expertise with ISS on hosting and infrastructure technologies