The Buddy Programme
The Buddy Programme
Adjusting to a different cultural environment can be exciting and challenging. New students at Lancaster University often have a lot of questions and concerns during their first weeks on campus. The Buddy Programme aims to help them begin a smooth transition, and to enable new students to make friends and connections easily. Host Buddies are current students who volunteer their time to support a new international student as they arrive and begin settling in to life as a Postgraduate student at Lancaster.
About the Programme:
This programme aims to promote connections between current and new students, build a globally minded community and offer peer support in finding ways to be actively involved on campus. We also hope the Buddy Programme will help form friendships that will last a lifetime.
Information for incoming students:
- Information about the Buddies Programme is included in the welcome email from Graduate College, which you should receive in early September.
- If you wish to join the programme, follow the link in the welcome email to find the registration form.
- The Buddies Scheme Co-ordinator will then contact you once you have been paired with a current Lancaster student - they will be your Host Buddy.
- Throughout Michaelmas Term, there will be several social events, and opportunities to meet your host and other Buddy pairs and groups.
- At the end of Michaelmas Term, the programme is reviewed, and if the participants wish to continue to meet at organised Buddy social events then we will continue to organise them for Lent Term.
- For further information please email email@example.com
Information for current students:
Why become a Host Buddy Volunteer?
- Be a cultural ambassador to new students from all over the world.
- Gain insights on different cultural values and world views.
- Start your Lancaster Award journey and receive 10 points towards the award.
- Invitation to Buddy Social events with a variety of delicious free food.
- Enhance your CV.
- Certificate of participation.
Duration of the Programme
- Contacting the assigned buddies before their arrival via email and provide information about campus life at Lancaster University.
- Meeting the assigned buddies after their arrival and supporting them to settle into life at Lancaster.
- Current Lancaster University student.
- Complete the required training.
- Effective communication skills.
- Sincere interest in helping people.
- Respect to religious, political, sexual orientation and cultural differences.
For further information please email firstname.lastname@example.org