Applications for postgraduate study at Lancaster are made directly to the university via our dedicated postgraduate admissions website. Online applications are available at MyLancaster admissions portal which provides full details of what you need to include with your application. These will usually include:
- transcripts of previous higher education (college/university) degrees or other courses that you have completed/for which you are currently studying. Note that, for transcripts in languages other than English, a certified English translation will be required.
- 2 references, at least one must be an academic reference.
- for those for whom English is not their first language, copies of English language test results. The English Language requirements for LICA Postgraduate students are 6.5 IELTS (or equivalent) overall with a minimum of 6.0 IELTS (or equivalent) in all components.
- Once your application has been received by the Postgraduate Admissions Office it will be checked to ensure all required documents have been submitted and it will then be passed on to the Department for consideration. You may be contacted by the Postgraduate Admissions Office or the Department to discuss your application further.
Portfolios are not currently required for any of our MA programmes
Personal Statement Guidance
Applicants are required to complete a Personal Statement (minimum 100 words) as part of the application process. Please use the following guidance on how to complete the Personal Statement in your own words:
- Why did you choose Lancaster University and the course you are applying for?
- What makes you a suitable candidate for the course you are applying for?
- What can you contribute to the course?
- What benefits do you expect to gain from the course?
- How is the course related to your academic and/or career development.
Deadline for your application
The deadline for applications is 31 August for UK/EU applicants and 31 July for Overseas applicants. However, if you are applying for funding you will need to apply at least 6 weeks before the funding body's deadline. Please note that if the department receives very high numbers of applications then the department will have to close admissions to our Masters courses before these deadlines. If there are a low number of applications for a particular course then the department reserves the right to cancel the course and offer alternatives for any students that have been offered a place.
Information on tuition fees please see Postgraduate fees & Funding. Tuition fees usually increase annually and fees for the next academic year are announced in the Spring.
When you apply, you will need to indicate your likely source of financial support during your studies. You should therefore investigate possible sources of finance as soon as you can.
Applications for accommodation open in the Spring. Students who have accepted a place on a course will receive an email inviting them to create an account and then apply for accommodation. You must have confirmed your place with the University before you are able to make an application.
For more information on Postgraduate accommodation please visit the Lancaster University Accommodation Website.
For course enquiries, please contact:
LICA Postgraduate Coordinator
T: +44 (0)1524 510899
For admissions enquiries, please contact:
T: +44 (0)1524 592032