Dr Dimitrinka AtanasovaSenior Lecturer in Intercultural Communication
I draw on theories and methods from applied linguistics, media and communication studies, and sociology. I research health and science communication (obesity, mental health, climate change, sustainability, nitrogen pollution among others) and developments in news journalism (such as constructive journalism). I am especially interested in the communication of health and science topics in various media through culturally-embedded frames and metaphors as well as how people discuss health and science topics using various media and how their communicative practices may vary across cultures.
I have worked as a Media Consultant at a media analysis and technology company leading pharma and technology projects. I held research positions at Queen Mary, University of London (School of Languages, Linguistics & Film), University of Sheffield (Information School) and University of Leicester (School of Media, Communication & Sociology) and taught on undergraduate and postgraduate modules as an Associate Lecturer at University of Leicester (School of Media, Communication & Sociology). I do occasional media consultancy work for private, public and third sector clients.
- I am a Founding Member and was also Secretary (March 2015 - February 2019) of the British Association for Applied Linguistics Special Interest Group on Health & Science Communication.
- I regularly review journal articles, book proposals, conference abstracts and funding applications to the Research Councils.
- Intercultural Communication (PG, on campus)
- Intercultural Encounters (PG, on campus)
- Corpus-based Discourse Analysis (PG, distance)
- Understanding Media (UG, on campus)
- Professional Communication (UG, on campus)
- Linguistics (UG, on campus)
- Director of Studies for the MA in Discourse Studies, the MA in Intercultural Communication, and the MA in Language and Linguistics (October 2018 - September 2023)
PhD Supervision Interests
I am happy to supervise new PhD research projects and I am interested in the following areas: media representations of health and science issues; mediated communication about health and science; metaphor in discourses of health and science; new media genres, particularly examples of constructive journalism; country-comparative studies of the above topics.
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Strategic Internationalisation Fund 2022/2023
01/04/2023 → 31/07/2023
Culture and Communication: Making Connections, Transcending Disciplines (CULCOM)
01/03/2023 → 31/07/2023
Constructive news articles as an emerging genre
01/06/2020 → 30/06/2020
The language of nitrogen: Why is understanding of the environmental challenges caused by nitrogen from agriculture so low?
01/02/2019 → 31/08/2019
Together an Active Future
07/01/2019 → 06/07/2019
CASS ESRC Transition Funding
01/04/2018 → 31/03/2023
Public Health England (External organisation)
Member of Advisory Panel
- DisTex - Discourse and Text Research Group
- FASS Health Hub