Dr Dimitrinka AtanasovaLecturer in Intercultural Communication
I draw on theories and methods from applied linguistics, media and communication studies and sociology. I research health(care) and science communication (particularly around obesity, mental health, climate change and sustainability) and news journalism. I am especially interested in (1) the communication of health and science topics in various media (e.g. through culturally-embedded frames, metaphors, news values) and (2) people’s communicative practices around health and science topics using various media (and how they may vary across cultures). I am increasingly interested in the growing influence of positive psychology in linguistics (e.g. in Critical Discourse Analysis), health and science communication (e.g. through the emphasis on wellness and recovery in mental health) and news journalism (e.g. moving away from a ‘disease model of the world’ through constructive reporting).
Prior to Lancaster, I worked as a Media Analyst and Media Consultant at a media analysis and technology company leading mostly pharma and technology projects; held Research Associate positions at Queen Mary, University of London (School of Languages, Linguistics & Film), University of Sheffield (Information School) and University of Leicester (School of Media, Communication & Sociology); and taught on undergraduate and postgraduate modules and supervised MA dissertations as an Associate Lecturer at University of Leicester (School of Media, Communication & Sociology).
- Secretary, British Association for Applied Linguistics (BAAL) Special Interest Group on Health and Science Communication, March 2015 - February 2019
- I regularly review journal articles, book proposals, conference abstracts and funding applications to the Research Councils.
- LING232 Understanding Media (UG)
- LING317 Language in the Workplace (UG)
- LING443 Intercultural Communication (PG)
- LING445 Intercultural Encounters (PG)
- LING102 English Language (UG)
- LING301a Dissertation Preparation (UG)
- LING531 Trends & Issues in Language Teaching Methodology (PG)
- I have previously contributed to LING204 Discourse Analysis (UG) and LING214 Corporate Communication (UG).
- Director of Studies for the MA in Discourse Studies, the MA in English Language and Literary Studies, the MA in Intercultural Communication, and the MA in Language and Linguistics
- Acting Director of Studies for the PhD by Thesis and Coursework programme (Term 1, 2017/18)
Keep in touch through:
- Twitter: @dbatanasova
- LinkedIn: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/dbatanasova
- ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Dimitrinka_Atanasova4
PhD Supervision Interests
I am happy to supervise new PhD research projects and I am interested in the following areas: media representations of health and science issues; mediated communication about health and science; metaphor in discourses of health and science; new media genres, particularly examples of constructive journalism; country-comparative studies of the above topics.
The language of nitrogen: Why is understanding of the environmental challenges caused by nitrogen from agriculture so low?
01/02/2019 → 31/08/2019
Together an Active Future
07/01/2019 → 06/07/2019
CASS ESRC Transition Funding
01/04/2018 → 31/03/2023
Public Health England (External organisation)
Member of Advisory Panel
- DisTex - Discourse and Text Research Group