Professor Bruce HollingsworthProfessor
I am Professor of Health Economics and lead the Health Economics at Lancaster group.
Research and international collaborative publications are principally in the area of efficiency measurement with respect to the production of health and health care, social determinants of health, and the translation of research into practice.
- Research Design Service NW National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) -(2012-2018 and 2018-2023).
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC) for the North West Coast - (2013-2019) and Applied Research Collaboration North West Coast - (2019-2024).
- ICONS II: Identifying Continence OptioNs after Stroke randomised controlled trial – NIHR HTA -(2017-2020).
- School for Public Health Research LiLaC. – NIHR -(2017-2022).
- Public Health Research Programme – What are the health and health inequalities impacts of the Big Local community empowerment initiative in England? – NIHR - (2017-2020)
- Dynamic Electronic Tracking and Escalation to reduce Critical Care Transfers (TheDETECT study) – NIHR Invention for Innovation (i4i) –(2017-2020).
- Prospective evaluation of point-of-care (POC) procalcitonin testing in infective exacerbations of chronic disease in childhood, to improve care and reduce health inequalities – NIHR CLAHRC -(2016-2018).
The Health Economics at Lancaster group is a group in the North West of England involved in health economics research across a breadth of projects ranging from behavioural and labour economics, to efficiency measurement, to more traditional cost-effectiveness analysis.
I also run the International Health Economics discussion list, which is also on twitter, am Co-Organiser of the Health Economists' Study Group (HESG), am on the International Scientific Committee, and Chair the International Health Economics Association Student Prize Committee, am an active member of health economics organisations worldwide, an invited speaker at many international conferences and to many Government bodies, am a referee for 45 international journals, have over 150 publications, and am Co-Editor of Health Economics and Associate Editor of The DEA Journal. I was on the Board of Directors of iHEA from 2011-2017.
I previously worked until 2011 at the Centre for Health Economics at Monash University Australia, where I was Director from 2009-11.
Alongside other research interests, administrative responsibilities, and teaching commitments. I currently supervises five full time PhD students.
The Health Economics At Lancaster www site is here:
I recently presented at the Global Health Metrics and Evaluation Conference in Seattle, see a video of this at:
I also recently interviewed Nobel Laureate Professor Kenneth Arrow at Stanford, on behalf of the International Health Economics Association World Congress, see a video of this at:
PhD Supervision Interests
NIHR Applied Research Collaboration North West Coast
01/10/2019 → 30/09/2024
School for Public Health Research 2
01/04/2017 → 31/03/2022
Research for patient benefit award PB-PG-0212-27122 - A pilot prospective randomised controlled trial od Thoracic Epidural Analgesia (TEA) versus Rectus Sheath Catheters (RSC) for open midline incisions in major abdominal surgery within an enhanced recove
06/01/2014 → 05/01/2017
Medical Research Council (External organisation)
Membership of committee
NIHR (External organisation)
Membership of committee
- Centre for Health Inequalities Research