Dr Xiaonan HouLecturer in Mechanical Engineering
Dr Xiaonan Hou is a lecturer in mechanical engineering at the University of Lancaster. He obtained his BEng in Material Forming Engineering from Shenyang University of Technology, China (2003). Then he came to UK for postgraduate study. He received his MSc by research in mechanical engineering from University of Leeds, UK (2006), which was a full time research degree in the field of analysing components fabricated by means of additive manufacturing. Then he went to work at Loughborough University, UK (2006-2010) for his PhD in mechanics of advanced materials. The research project was to analyse a kind of random fibrous material, which was sponsored by both Loughborough University (UK) and NC State University (USA).
After his PhD research, he joined The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (HK) and then The University of Warwick (UK) as a research fellow (2010-2016), when he started to work closely with world leading industry companies, such as Jaguar Land Rover, TATA Steel, EMS, Henkel, UnderArmor and Stratasys. The projects extensively include materials for body protector, vehicle lightweighting and metamaterial design.
On basis of his experience, Xiaonan has expertise in various advanced experimental and numerical methods to analyse mechanical properties of engineering materials under different loading conditions, such as static/dynamic testing systems, micro-CT system, optical image analysis system and finite element methods. Besides, he also has a wide knowledge in various manufacturing technologies: casting, injection moulding, adhesive jointing and rapid manufacturing.
His current research interests are in following areas:
- New composite materials with tailored mechanical properties and smart structures.
- Metamaterials with Negative Poisson’s ratio and Negative stiffness
- Multi-material jointing technologies for lightweighting
- Fellowship by University of Warwick (UK) with Jaguar and Land Rover (2014)
- Postdoctoral Fellowship by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University and HK Innovation and Technology Commission (2010)
- Congress Student Fellowships by IACM/ECCOMAS Congress (Venice, Italy, 2008)
- EDANA Grant by European Disposables and Nonwovens Association (Brussels, Belgium, 2007)
PhD Supervision Interests
Analysis of engineering materials; Development of mechanical meta-materials;
Meeting with Feather and Springs
Types of Business and Community - Hosting of external, non-academic visitor
- Structures, Materials and Manufacturing