Data Science Scholarships
If you plan to study for a Master's in Health Data Science, you may be eligible for an Office for Students scholarship. There are up to fifteen (15) scholarships available for students commencing their studies in October 2023, each worth £10,000.
Welcome to MSc Health Data Science
The MSc in Health Data Science at Lancaster provides training and research excellence in Medical Statistics, Data Science and Global Health and aims to equip graduates with the necessary skills, knowledge and attributes for direct entry to professional health data science careers. The programme provides core training in computing (R and Python), statistical modelling, epidemiology and research methods, allows for specialism in Health Informatics or Global Health and provides the opportunity to complete a project as part of a placement with our national and international partners, which include the World Health Organization, the National Health Service, the Kenya Medical Research Institute, the Clinton Health Access Initiative, and more.
Data Scientists, data engineers and business analysts are among the most sought-after positions in the UK and internationally, and the health sector demand continues to grow.
Lancaster University’s MSc Health Data Science programme has been developed to address the growing demand for these skills in healthcare.
Potential career destinations for students graduating with an MSc in Health Data Science include, but are not limited to:
- Data scientists in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and bioengineering industries
- Data scientists in the NHS and allied organisations
- Civil-service careers in national-level health agencies
- International health organisations such as World Health Organisation, Médecins Sans Frontières, and the Red Cross
Applications to the programme are now welcome for study commencing October 2023.
About the scholarships
The purpose of the scholarships is to widen access and participation to AI and Data Science roles for underrepresented groups. As such, the criteria are restricted and you should read carefully the documentation below to find out if you qualify. If you do, please apply as indicated, and if not, please visit our general scholarship pages. You may be eligible for one or more of Lancaster University's other scholarships and bursaries.Scholarships and Bursaries
The following 3 groups will be given priority for the scholarships:
- Female students
- Black students (as defined by HESA ethnicity codes)
- Registered disabled students
Additional criteria that we will consider:
- Students from areas of the UK where young people are less likely to go on to higher education (POLAR Q1 and Q2)
- Care experienced students
- Estranged students
- Gypsy, Roma, Traveller students (resident in the UK)
- Refugees (resident in the UK)
- Children from military families, veterans and partners of military personnel
PLEASE NOTE: These scholarships are restricted to UK or EU citizens with settled status only, though this may change.
How to apply
Below you will find links to two separate documents. The first provides guidance to support your Office for Students scholarship application. Please read this first.
The second is the application form. If you have questions regarding the completion of the form, please email the Director of Studies, Dr Emanuele Giorgi.