Our College moto is ‘Simply the Best!’ and as one of the University’s original founding Colleges, we really work hard to make sure all of our members feel pride in our community. The Lonsdale College web pages have been created to give you some insight into who we are, what we do, and the sorts of things you can expect as a member.
Collectively, the nine colleges that make up Lancaster University are a distinctive feature of the student experience, regardless of whether you choose to live on or off the main campus.
Our colleges offer each student much more than simply a room to live in – we are communities of people that provide a ‘home-from-home’ where every student is able to feel comfortable, safe and respected regardless of their backgrounds or circumstances. As such, the colleges provide the platforms that enable Lancaster students to get the most out of their university experience, from the moment they arrive to when they graduate and move on to pursue fulfilling careers and responsible lives.
All of the colleges reflect the basic principles and values of Lancaster University – they are all living examples of diverse groups of people who are ambitious, collaborative, inquisitive, progressive and supportive.
Nevertheless, each college has its own culture or ‘feel’. At Lonsdale, our priorities include:
- Creating a dynamic and sociable sense of community with an emphasis on a warm open welcome, through social events, recreational and competitive sports, volunteering on campus and our unbeatable college spirit.
- Health and wellbeing, including personal advice and support offered by our team of in-college advisors and welfare officers. We also believe in the power of social support and learning and often facilitate this through the provision of sweet treats!
- Personal and academic progress and development, by creating additional high quality study spaces within our college environment, including our cinema room, for individual and group use.
- Supporting you to make the most of your time at Lancaster – for example, through our annual travel grant scheme, which enables both individual students and groups to visit other part of the world and to take part in extra-curricular education and community development initiatives.
- Encouraging students with bright ideas for new initiatives, by providing practical and financial support.
- Ensuring that our students graduate having benefitted from a fantastic college-based university experience, feeling confident and well prepared for their future.
If you have any questions, or would like to arrange a visit to see what Lonsdale has to offer, please get in touch at any time.
Lonsdale College Principal