Thinking about coming to Lancaster? Find out what it's like to be a member of Lonsdale College.
Welcome from our Principal
Hello and welcome to Lonsdale College!
Our College moto is ‘Simply the Best!’ and as one of the University’s original founding Colleges, we really work hard to make sure all of our members feel pride in our community. The Lonsdale College web pages have been created to give you some insight into who we are, what we do, and the sorts of things you can expect as a member.
Collectively, the nine colleges that make up Lancaster University are a distinctive feature of the student experience, regardless of whether you choose to live on or off the main campus.
Our colleges offer each student much more than simply a room to live in – we are communities of people that provide a ‘home-from-home’ where every student is able to feel comfortable, safe and respected regardless of their backgrounds or circumstances. As such, the colleges provide the platforms that enable Lancaster students to get the most out of their university experience, from the moment they arrive to when they graduate and move on to pursue fulfilling careers and responsible lives.
All of the colleges reflect the basic principles and values of Lancaster University – they are all living examples of diverse groups of people who are ambitious, collaborative, inquisitive, progressive and supportive.
Nevertheless, each college has its own culture or ‘feel’. At Lonsdale, our priorities include:
- Creating a dynamic and sociable sense of community with an emphasis on a warm open welcome, through social events, recreational and competitive sports, volunteering on campus and our unbeatable college spirit.
- Health and wellbeing, including personal advice and support offered by our team of in-college advisors and welfare officers. We also believe in the power of social support and learning and often facilitate this through the provision of sweet treats!
- Personal and academic progress and development, by creating additional high quality study spaces within our college environment, including our cinema room, for individual and group use.
- Supporting you to make the most of your time at Lancaster – for example, through our annual travel grant scheme, which enables both individual students and groups to visit other part of the world and to take part in extra-curricular education and community development initiatives.
- Encouraging students with bright ideas for new initiatives, by providing practical and financial support.
- Ensuring that our students graduate having benefitted from a fantastic college-based university experience, feeling confident and well prepared for their future.
If you have any questions, or would like to arrange a visit to see what Lonsdale has to offer, please get in touch at any time.
Lonsdale College Principal
Welcome Week – sometimes known as freshers' week – takes place in the week before the start of term. It includes a range of social and academic events designed to help ease you in to University life.
Life in Lonsdale
Lonsdale consists of 584 superior en-suite rooms for undergraduates, creating for a diverse environment, whether you are from the UK or overseas, post or pre-qualification, a school leaver or a mature returner to higher education. We've recently upgraded many of our kitchens, pictures of which you can see in our mini-gallery below.
For more information please, see the Accommodation website.
At the heart of Lonsdale is our very own bar, the Red Lion. The bar is used for events throughout the year and includes three match-quality pool tables. There is also a table tennis table and football table to use.
We also have our own cinema room, meeting space, study areas and kitchen area for off-campus students.College Facilities
Sports and social
The College has several sports teams that compete in College leagues over the first and second terms. Try-outs for Football and Netball are normally held during the first few weeks of term.
We also run dozens of different social events across campus and in town to cater for all of our students. Recent examples include day trips to Manchester and Liverpool, comedy nights in the bar, movie nights plus of course our annual Winter Ball.Sports & Social
As a Lancaster student, you can take part in many different inter-college competitions as part of Team Lonsdale. These include the Sustainability Challenge, the annual Debating Competition and the hotly-contested Inter-College Quiz.Competitions
Manon Williams, JCR President
“Lonsdale is a vibrant college with a strong community spirit and sense of college pride. We have an inclusive social sphere suitable for everyone – the atmosphere of our sport events is unrivalled and we definitely know how to throw a great party. We’re really just a big family, and we look forward to giving our newest members a welcome they’ll never forget. Before welcome week is through, we’ll have you bleeding blue!”