Dr Ioannis ChatzigeorgiouSenior Lecturer
- Part II (Year 2) Tutor (Aug. 2018 - present): Day-to-day running of the 2nd year BSc/MSci programmes in Computer Science, Computer Science with Design and Software Engineering, including the allocation of 3rd year projects at the end of the second year of undergraduate studies.
- Member of the Postgraduate Research Committee (Jan. 2018 - present): Regular appraisals and progress monitoring of PhD students, and review of postgraduate research matters.
- Director of the MSc programme in Wireless Communication Systems (Sep. 2017 - Aug. 2018): Responsible for the promotion and day-to-day running of the MSc degree progamme in Wireless Communication Systems.
- Curriculum Delivery Officer for Quality Assurance (Sep. 2017 - Aug. 2018): The main duty of this post was to maintain curriculum quality assurance and, in particular, monitor the peer observation and teaching processes, update the student handbook, contribute to the accreditation process, and participate in industrial advisory board meetings.
- Plagiarism Officer (Sep. 2013 - Aug. 2015 and Sep. 2016 - Aug. 2017): This role involved the consideration of alleged offences committed by undergraduate and postgraduate students, the determination of the severity of each offence based on the institutional plagiarism framework and the initiation of disciplinary actions.
- TACT Officer (Aug. 2016 - Aug. 2017): The Timely Assessment Calibration Team (TACT) monitors the marking of coursework elements and aspires to maintain a high coursework return rate within the department.
- Part I Examinations Officer (Sep. 2011 - Aug. 2014): Responsible for maintaining the quality and conduct of the examination process for 1st-year undergraduate students (Part I), coordinating the preparation and moderation of exam papers, collating and analysing the marks, organising internal examination boards and participating in Part I university-wide examination boards.
- Co-organiser of SCC Guest Lectures Series (Sep. 2010 - Aug.2011): Responsible for inviting distinguished guest speakers and organising regular talks for the members of the department.
I am a Senior Lecturer at the School of Computing and Communications and a senior member of Bowland College. I received the Dipl.-Ing. degree in Electrical Engineering from Democritus University of Thrace, Greece in 1997, the MSc degree in Satellite Communications Engineering from the University of Surrey in 2000 and the PhD degree from the University of Cambridge in 2007. From 2000 to 2002, I held positions in Marconi Communications in Beeston and Inmarsat in London. I joined Autonomy Corporation for a short period of time in 2006 but I returned to Cambridge University in 2007 as a Research Associate at the Computer Laboratory, where I remained until December 2009. Before joining Lancaster University as a Lecturer in October 2010, I was a Research Fellow at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim.
My research interests lie in the general area of communication theory and include the modelling, analysis, performance evaluation and design of communication systems. My focus has been on coding schemes for multiple-antenna systems and cooperative networks. Recently, my focus shifted to random linear coding over finite fields, as the means to reduce delay and improve throughput.
- SCC.160 - Fundamentals of Communication Systems, part of the BSc/MSci programme in Computer Science (shared with three other lecturers; responsible for the Summer Term)
- SCC.460: Data Science Fundamentals, part of the MSc programme in Data Science (shared with another lecturer).
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (Lancaster University, UK, 2011)
- PhD (University of Cambridge, UK, 2007)
- MSc in Satellite Communication Engineering with distinction (University of Surrey, UK, 2000)
- Dipl.-Ing. in Electrical Engineering (Democritus University of Thrace, Greece, 1997)
- Senior Lecturer (Aug. 2018 - present), Lecturer (Oct. 2010 - July 2018), School of Computing and Communications, Lancaster University
- ERCIM Research Fellow, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Jan. 2010 - Sep. 2010
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, Jan. 2007 - Dec. 2009
- Resource Planning Engineer, Satellite and Network Operations, Inmarsat, London, Mar. 2001 - Mar. 2002
- Graduate Hardware Engineer, Optical Networks, Marconi Communications, Beeston, Nottingham, Oct. 2000 - Mar. 2001
- IEEE Senior Member since 2015. Member since 2005.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) since 2012.
- Full member of the EPSRC Peer Review College since Feb. 2018. Associate member from Oct. 2016 to Jan. 2018.
- Guest editor of the EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Special Issue on Network Coding, 2016
- Member of the COST Action IC1104 "Random Network Coding and Designs over GF(q)".
- TPC member of CSNDSP (2010), IEEE WCNC (2013), ICT (2014, 2016, 2017, 2019), European Wireless 2015, ISWCS (2018, 2019) and IEEE VTC (Spring 2015, Spring 2016, Fall 2017, Spring 2019).
- External PhD examiner for Newcaste University (2016, 2018), NTNU - Norway (2017), Universita Politecnica delle Marche - Italy (2016), University of Bristol (2016), COMSATS (2015), University of York (2013), Aston University (2011).
PhD Supervision Interests
Research topics that mainly focus on network coding, especially sparse implementations and integration with physical-layer techniques and compressed sensing for repairing damaged data packets.
Selected Publications Show all 51 publications
Network-coded NOMA with antenna selection for the support of two heterogeneous groups of users
Saeed Khan, A., Chatzigeorgiou, I., Lambotharan, S., Zheng, G. 02/2019 In: IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 18, 2, p. 1332-1345. 14 p.
Opportunistic relaying and random linear network coding for secure and reliable communication
Khan, A.S., Chatzigeorgiou, I. 01/2018 In: IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. 17, 1, p. 223-234. 12 p.
Non-orthogonal multiple access combined with random linear network coded cooperation
Khan, A.S., Chatzigeorgiou, I. 09/2017 In: IEEE Signal Processing Letters. 24, 9, p. 1298-1302. 5 p.
Probability of partially decoding network-coded messages
Claridge, J., Chatzigeorgiou, I. 09/2017 In: IEEE Communications Letters. 21, 9, p. 1945-1948. 4 p.
Decoding delay performance of random linear network coding for broadcast
Chatzigeorgiou, I., Tassi, A. 08/2017 In: IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 66, 8, p. 7050-7060. 11 p.
Improved bounds on the decoding failure probability of network coding over multi-source multi-relay networks
Khan, A.S., Chatzigeorgiou, I. 10/2016 In: IEEE Communications Letters. 20, 10, p. 2035-2038. 4 p.
Analysis and optimization of sparse random linear network coding for reliable multicast services
Tassi, A., Chatzigeorgiou, I., Lucani, D. 01/2016 In: IEEE Transactions on Communications. 64, 1, p. 285-299. 15 p.
Rethinking the intercept probability of random linear network coding
Khan, A., Tassi, A., Chatzigeorgiou, I. 8/10/2015 In: IEEE Communications Letters. 19, 10, p. 1762-1765. 4 p.
Resource allocation frameworks for network-coded layered multimedia multicast services
Tassi, A., Chatzigeorgiou, I., Vukobratovic, D. 5/03/2015 In: IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. 33, 2, p. 141-155. 15 p.
Bounds on the Lambert function and their application to the outage analysis of user cooperation
Chatzigeorgiou, I. 16/08/2013 In: IEEE Communications Letters. 17, 8, p. 1505-1508. 4 p.
Exact and Asymptotic Outage Probability Analysis for Decode-and-Forward Networks
Chatzigeorgiou, I., Guo, W., Wassell, I.J., Carrasco, R.A. 02/2011 In: IEEE Transactions on Communications. 59, 2, p. 376-381. 6 p.
Scalable Cross-Layer Wireless Access Control Using Multi-Carrier Burst Contention
Roman, B., Wassell, I., Chatzigeorgiou, I. 01/2011 In: IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. 29, 1, p. 113-128. 16 p.
Performance-complexity tradeoff of convolutional codes for broadband fixed wireless access systems
Chatzigeorgiou, I., Demosthenous, A., Rodrigues, M.R.D., Wassell, I.J. 5/03/2010 In: IET Communications. 4, 4, p. 419-427. 9 p.
Analysis and Design of Punctured Rate-1/2 Turbo Codes Exhibiting Low Error Floors
Chatzigeorgiou, I., Rodrigues, M.R.D., Wassell, I.J., Carrasco, R.A. 08/2009 In: IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. 27, 6, p. 944-953. 10 p.
The Augmented State Diagram and its Application to Convolutional and Turbo Codes
Chatzigeorgiou, I., Rodrigues, M.R.D., Wassell, I.J., Carrasco, R.A. 07/2009 In: IEEE Transactions on Communications. 57, 7, p. 1948-1958. 11 p.
Threshold-based frame error rate analysis of MIMO systems over quasistatic fading channels
Chatzigeorgiou, I., Wassell, I.J., Carrasco, R. 12/02/2009 In: Electronics Letters. 45, 4, p. 216-217. 2 p.
Performance analysis of turbo codes in quasi-static fading channels
Rodrigues, M.R.D., Chatzigeorgiou, I., Wassell, I.J., Carrasco, R. 03/2008 In: IET Communications. 2, 3, p. 449-461. 13 p.
Revisiting the calculation of effective free distance of turbo codes
Chatzigeorgiou, I., Wassell, I.J. 3/01/2008 In: Electronics Letters. 44, 1, p. 43-44. 2 p.
Comparison of convolutional and turbo coding schemes for broadband FWA systems
Chatzigeorgiou, I., Rodrigues, M.R.D., Wassell, I.J., Carrasco, R. 06/2007 In: IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting. 53, 2, p. 494-503. 10 p.
Follow-up research on network coding
01/08/2015 → …
Improving wireless information security by using physical layer dynamics
16/03/2015 → 15/03/2017
Network error control for Rapid and Reliable Data Delivery (R2D2)
01/02/2014 → 31/07/2015
Network coding for Rapid and Reliable Data Delivery
EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing (Journal)
Hosting an academic visitor
- SCC (Communication Systems)