Rankings and Reputation
Science and Technology at Lancaster has a global reputation for delivering world-class education and research. Our disciplines are consistently ranked amongst the best in the UK.
The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021
- Lancaster University ranked joint 10th overall
- 7th for Physics and Astronomy
- 8th for Mathematics
- 12th for Biological Sciences
- 12th for Mechanical Engineering
- 13th for General Engineering
- 14th for Geography and Environmental Sciences
- 6th for student experience in Chemistry
- Joint 2nd for graduate prospects in Computer Science
Guardian University Guide 2021
- Biosciences - ranked joint 6th overall and joint 9th for career after 15 months.
- Chemistry - ranked 7th overall and 1st for satisfied with course.
- Computer Science and Information Systems - ranked 6th overall and joint 10th for career after 15 months.
- Engineering: Chemical - ranked 10th overall and 11th for satisfied with course.
- Engineering: Mechanical - ranked 20th overall and joint 3rd for career after 15 months.
- Geography and Environmental Studies - ranked 14th overall.
- Physics - ranked 4th overall and joint 10th for career after 15 months.
Complete University Guide 2021
- 8th overall in the UK
- 5th in the UK for Chemical Engineering
- 8th in the UK for Geography and Environmental Sciences, joint 2nd for Graduate Prospects
- 9th in the UK for Mathematics
- 9th in the UK for Physics and Astronomy
- 10th in the UK for Psychology
- 13th in the UK for Biological Sciences
- 14th in the UK for Chemistry, 9th for Student Satisfaction
- 15th in the UK for Mechanical Engineering
- 17th in the UK for Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- 21st in the UK for Computer Science, 6th for Graduate Prospects
Research Excellence Framework 2014
- Over 80% of our research is world-leading and internationally excellent
- Mathematics and Statistics is ranked joint fifth in the UK for overall research quality and 3rd in the UK for impact, putting them amongst UK's elite group of mathematics departments
- The School of Computing and Communications is 12th in the UK for research in the category of Computer Science and Informatics
- Engineering had 91% of their research activity rated as world-leading and internationally excellent with 100% world-leading and internationally excellent for impact
- Lancaster Environment Centre is third in the UK for impact, sixth in the UK for providing a vibrant research community and 10th in the UK for producing world-leading research
- The newly established department of Chemistry has achieved an outstanding result in its infancy by being rated 10th in the UK for research output quality, with just over one year to prepare submissions before the REF deadline
- The Physics Department is ranked second in the UK for the amount of its research output judged to be 4* world-leading
- Psychology has been ranked in the top 20 psychology departments in the UK for world-leading research publications and, overall, 75% of the research was found to be world-leading or internationally excellent, with 100% of it being of international standing
Did you know?
- We are home to one of the world’s largest centres for environmental research
- We share our facilities with the Environment Agency
- We are home to one of the government’s top environmental research laboratories, run by the Natural Environment Research Council’s Centre for Ecology and Hydrology.
- Home to Hazelrigg Weather Station, the UK Meteorological Office’s Climatological Station Number 7236, making daily weather observations since 1966
- Our chemistry laboratories have amongst the best analytical facilities in the world for environmental organic chemistry research
- Home to the noble gas laboratory, the only lab in the UK with magnetic sector instrumentation focused specifically on environmental applications of noble gases
- We have a long term relationship with Jari forestry who own large sections of the Amazon rainforest, giving us access to the tropical forests of South America
- Some of our renowned physicists are researchers at CERN, Geneva, probing the fundamental structure of the universe
- We are members of the Athena SWAN Charter, a scheme which recognises and celebrates good employment practice for women working in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) in higher education and research
- Our Psychology Department is home to one of the largest human developmental centres in the UK