Our long-established Management School is a place of cutting edge knowledge, where academically-leading research is applied in the real world, positively impacting the lives of individuals, businesses and organisations, and society.
Scroll to content
Our rankings and reputation
Whilst rankings only tell part of the story, our degrees nonetheless perform strongly across a broad range of different business school rankings. We are highly regarded by the Financial Times, QS, The Times, Guardian and more. Our high student satisfaction rates and excellent reputation for research demonstrate the quality of our offering and the value for money offered by our programmes.
Top 10 in the UK
LUMS is ranked amongst the UK’s top 10 business schools according to the Financial Times rankings.
Overall, LUMS is ranked 10th in the UK and 54th in Europe in the Financial Times European Business Schools rankings 2022, which are compiled based on salary increases of alumni who completed the MBA, Executive MBA and Master's in Management (MiM) programmes.
Rankings for our undergraduate courses and National Student Survey results.
Undergraduate Programmes Rankings Accordion
The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide
- Accounting and Finance =15th overall, 10th for research quality
- Business, Management and Marketing 15th overall, 11th for research quality
- Economics 20th overall, 11th for research quality
Guardian University Guide
- Marketing and PR 3rd overall, 2nd for graduate prospects, with 91% of graduates in a career after 15 months.
- Business and Management 10th overall.
- Accounting and Finance 13th overall, 18th for graduate prospects, with 87% of graduates in a career after 15 months.
- Economics 31st overall, 18th for graduate prospects, with 91% of graduates in a career after 15 months.
National Student Survey
Overall Lancaster University is among the top universities in the UK for academic support according to the 2023 National Student Survey.
‘Academic support’ refers to questions: How easy was it to contact teaching staff when you needed to? How well have teaching staff supported your learning?
Our business and management subjects are rated 6th in the UK for library resources when compared to other universities in the 2023 National Student Survey.
92% of our business and management students responded positively about how easy it is to access subject resources such as facilities and equipment.
QS World Rankings by Subject
- Accounting and Finance 11th in the UK, =65th in the world
- Business and Management Studies, =9th in the UK =70th in the world
- Statistics and Operational Research =10th in the UK, 51-100 in the world
The Complete University Guide
- Marketing: 4th overall, 2nd for graduate prospects, 8th for student satisfaction, 6th for research quality
- Accounting and Finance: 20th overall, 9th for research quality
- Economics: 19th overall, 12th for research quality
- Business and Management Studies: 21st overall, 11th for research quality
Our latest Master's programme rankings.
Postgraduate Programmes Rankings Accordion
Financial Times Global Master's in Finance (pre-experience)
- 9th in the UK and =46th in the world
- 2nd in the UK for value for money
Financial Times Global Master's in Management
- 7th in the UK and 82nd in the world
- 4th in the UK for career progress and salary percentage increase (49.7%)
- 100% of graduates employed after 3 months.
QS Business Master's Rankings
- Master's in Marketing 35th, 8th in UK, 10th for Thought Leadership
- Master's in Business Analytics #61-70, 22nd in Europe, 6th in UK, 4th in UK for Value for Money
- Master's in Finance =58th, 35th in Europe, 10th in UK, 29th for Thought Leadership
- Master's in Management =67th, 10th in UK, 29th for Thought Leadership
- QS Global MBA Rankings
- QS Global EMBA Rankings
Financial Times Executive MBA Global Rankings
- 9th in the UK, 3rd in Africa
- Student satisfaction rating 9.24/10
Financial Times MBA Global Rankings
The Lancaster MBA was not eligible for the FT 2023 rankings, along with a number of other institutions, due to suspending the programme during the pandemic. Lancaster's MBA has been ranked in the FT global top 100 22 times since the introduction of the rankings in 1999 and rankings from 2022 are shown below.
- 8th in the UK, 21st in Europe and =76th in the world
- 2nd in the world for value for money in the same rankings
- 1st in the world for corporate strategy teaching
- 1st in the UK for student salary increase (average 112% after 3 years)
Accreditation, partners and studentships
Professional Recognition Accordion
Accreditation, partners and studentships
In addition to our quadruple accreditation, our programme accreditation includes:
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC): Our MRes and PhDs are recognised for studentships
- CFA Institute: Program Partner status awarded to selected programmes
- Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT) accredits our MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS) accredits our MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Professional exemptions (on some examinations)
- The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA): Accounting and Finance, MSc Finance and MSc Accounting and Financial Management
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW): Accounting and Finance BSc
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS): Accounting and Finance BSc
- Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM): MSc in Marketing, some Marketing undergraduate programmes
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA): Accounting and Finance BSc
in the UK for research power (REF 2021, Business and Management Studies)
in the UK for research environment
(REF 2021, Business and Management Studies)
of our research is rated world-leading or internationally excellent (REF 2021, Business and Management Studies)
of our research is recognised as having made an outstanding or very considerable impact (REF 2021, Business and Management Studies)
A Triple Accredited Business School
LUMS is one of just a handful of triple crown business schools that hold accreditation with AACBS, EQUIS and AMBA. These international accreditations from the most influential business school accreditation bodies are in recognition of the quality of everything we do, providing assurance that LUMS is a globally leading business school.
Lancaster University Management School is an active member of many leading professional organisations in management education and beyond. These include the Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS), EFMD and Business in the Community (BiTC). Our connectivity enables us to be sector-leading, benefitting our students, staff and stakeholders.
LUMS has been awarded an Athena Swan Bronze award in recognition of its commitment to advancing gender equality.
LUMS’ accreditation was confirmed in 2021 after its first-ever application was reviewed by an independent panel. The School will now hold the Bronze award until 2026.
Lancaster University has held an institutional-level Bronze award since 2008, with renewals in 2012, 2014 and 2019.
Gender Equality Plan
LUMS is one of the partner institutions of the TARGETED-MPI project (Transparent And Resilient Gender Equality Through Integrated Monitoring Planning and Implementation). The project is funded by the EU Horizon 2020 scheme and focuses specifically on institutional changes through the development and effective implementation of Gender Equality Plans (GEPs) in Business and Management schools to drive more inclusive, sustainable and transparent academic cultures.
A short version of the interim Summary of the LUMS Gender Equality Plan is available to download
Lancaster University rankings
League tables can't tell you everything about a university, but they're a good place to start. Out of over 120 UK Universities, we are top 10 in the Complete University Guide 2024, and consistently in the top 15 of the three main domestic league tables.