Frequently asked questions

How do I apply to Lancaster University?

All applications should be made online via UCAS. Please read our detailed guidance on how to apply for further information.

Can I apply using an old application (from a previous year)?

If you applied in a previous year and want to re-apply in the current cycle, you will need to start a new UCAS application. It is not possible to transfer your old application across to a new cycle.

Do I have to sit an institutional test in order to get admission?

No, we don't ask applicants to sit an institutional admissions test. For some of our degrees, you may be asked to take a professional test or attend an interview. However, if this applies you will be told about this when you apply.

My contact details have changed, how do I inform universities that I have applied too?

If any of the personal details you have submitted on your UCAS form change, such as your postal, email address or telephone number, you need to update them on UCAS Track or by contacting the UCAS hotline on 0371 4680468 or +44 330 3330 230. All of your University choices will be notified of any changes you make by UCAS.

Can I change my course choice or entry year at Lancaster once I have submitted the UCAS form?

If you wish to make any changes to your application such as change the course you have applied to please contact our Admissions Office who will review your application. If the change is approved we will inform UCAS and the updated course choice will appear on UCAS Track. If more information is required we will contact you to request this from you.

I am applying to Lancaster but I have had exceptional or mitigating circumstances during my sixth form studies and I would like this to be taken into account. What should I do?

If you have submitted your UCAS application but issues have occurred during your sixth form studies which you would like to be taken into account when your application is being reviewed, please contact the Admissions Office. Please give your name, UCAS personal ID and a brief description of the illness, personal issue etc. We will then contact you if we require any further information or medical evidence. We would also recommend informing any relevant exam board as they may be able to take this into consideration when awarding your final marks.

I'm taking my first language (eg Chinese) as one of my A Levels. Will you consider this for entry purposes?

We may be able to consider an A Level in a native language as part of your offer criteria for most of our courses, provided that it is being studied as one of four A2 levels. Requirements regarding native language A levels vary between courses and we would recommend contacting the Admissions Office for clarification.

Do you prefer A Levels to other qualifications?

Whilst A levels are the most common recognised entry route to Lancaster undergraduate degree courses we do accept a range of qualifications, please go to the Course Search webpage where you can see the typical entry requirements for all of our courses. Where Admissions Tutors have a preference for A levels, this will be stated. If you are still unsure whether we would accept your qualifications for entry onto one of our courses please contact the Admissions Office who will be happy to advise further.

I'm a mature student and I don't have GCSE Maths and English - but I'm taking Adult Numeracy and Literacy Level 2 Key Skills qualifications - will you accept these instead?

Where GCSE’s in Maths and English are specified we would typically be unable to accept alternative qualifications. Please see our Course Search webpages for more detail regarding grades and subject requirements. Any courses able to accept alternatives, e.g. Social Work, will typically accept Adult Numeracy and Literacy Level 2 Key Skills qualifications. For more detailed clarification please contact the Admissions Office, and remember to include the course you wish to apply to and the qualifications you have achieved in your email.

What is Part 1 and Part 2 and Flexible Part 1?

At Lancaster University we distinguish between Part 1 (your first year, which is a preparatory course, and does not count towards your final degree) and Part II, the subsequent years of your degree. Depending on which subject you choose to study at Lancaster, you will have a level of flexibility during the first year of your degree programme through which you can choose to minor in other subjects to either complement or contrast with your major subject. Read further information regarding flexible study at Lancaster.

You are a Collegiate University. Does this mean I apply directly to a college?

All Undergraduate applications should be to Lancaster University via UCAS Apply, you do not apply directly to a college at this time. Should an offer be made and you choose to accept, further details regarding how to apply to colleges and accommodation at Lancaster University will be sent to you in June/July prior to attending.

When and how do I apply for accommodation?

All applicants holding firm or insurance offers from Lancaster will receive information from our Accommodation Office in June outlining their options and the next steps that need to be taken in applying for accommodation. You will simply need to follow the instructions provided when you receive them. Please note that this information will be sent via email so you will need to ensure that your contact details are up to date through UCAS.

What do I need to do on results day?

Please see our Preparing for Results day webpages. You will be able to find more information about your qualifications, what to do if you meet or narrowly miss the offer conditions, as well as detailed information regarding Adjustment and Clearing.

Do you have a representative or someone that I can talk to in my home country about studying in the UK and specifically at Lancaster University?

We have a network of agents and representatives in many countries throughout the world.

If your question has not been answered on this page please also take a look at our Specific Admissions queries and Undergraduate Entry Requirement help pages.