Support for Estranged Students

Estranged students can face unique challenges when transitioning to University. We can support you.

How do I know if I am Estranged?

You are Estranged if you no longer have contact with your family because you are no longer able to do so.

This could be for a number of reasons, and may happen suddenly, or may build up over a long period of time. Some common reasons for estrangement include: rejection from the family, a history of abuse, lack of acceptance about sexual orientation or gender, or not meeting the core values of the family.

How do you tell us?

You don’t have to tell us if you are Estranged – but it may help us to support you if and when you need it.

You can tell us about your Estrangement by contacting the Student Wellbeing Partnership Service. You can let us know at any time during your studies, but the sooner you can tell us the better!

What happens when you tell us?

If we know that you are Estranged we can support you during your time at university. The Student Wellbeing Partnership Service can provide pastoral support and advice on a range of topics including finance, accommodation, settling in, and making friends. We will be in touch regularly to promote opportunities which may be of interest to you and to seek feedback about how we can support you. You can attend weekly Tea and Chat, which gives you the opportunity to take time out for yourself and socialise with other students.

Estranged students may be eligible for the following support:

  • 52 week accommodation (including vacation periods)
  • One-to-one support from the Student Wellbeing Partnership Service
  • £2000 Bursary including:
    • Welcome pack, including print credit, laundry card, voucher, and bedding pack (first year students)
    • £500 Graduation Bursary (final year students)
    • Graduation package (final year students)
    • Funding towards vacation accommodation

Please be aware that to be eligible for the Bursary you must be estranged from both parents. A limited number of bursaries are available.