EU flag Brexit header

Brexit Information

Advice for our current and prospective students

Last updated: 14 January 2020

We are proud to be a global community with students from more than 100 countries studying together here on our UK campus. We pride ourselves on the diversity of our staff and students and also on the welcoming atmosphere here at Lancaster.

The UK's decision to leave the European Union (EU) will result in some changes for some students. However, our international outlook will not alter. In the meantime, we as a university are working hard to influence policy for the benefit of all our staff and students.

A Brexit deal has been agreed in principle with the EU, which both the UK and the EU need to approve and sign. They will then enter a transition period and start to negotiate new arrangements and prepare for new rules. However, the UK could still leave with no deal if the withdrawal agreement is not approved by 31 January 2020, or at the end of a transition period.

Since last year a dedicated group of Lancaster University staff, chaired by our Interim Vice-Chancellor, has been monitoring the situation closely to ensure that Lancaster University is as prepared as possible for exiting the EU as well as the possibility of a no-deal scenario. The aim is to minimise any potential disruption for our students and staff.

As part of our preparations, the University has been focused on:

  • Visas and immigration for staff and students
  • Maintaining services and supplies to campus– including campus infrastructure such as fuel for heating, IT and food
  • Travel for staff and students
  • Research and research funding including Horizon 2020
  • Student mobility including Erasmus+
  • Student fees and funding.

For the latest government information on getting ready for Brexit, please visit You can also see a government publication for how universities should prepare for a “no-deal” Brexit.

I’m from the EU and am currently studying at Lancaster University

I’m from the EU and plan to study at Lancaster University in the future

  • Will I need to get a visa to continue studying in the UK?

    Two factors will affect the process that will apply to you – when you begin your course and whether or not the UK reaches a withdrawal agreement with the EU.

    The UK government and the EU are currently working to finalise an agreement. It will define the rights of EU citizens to live and study in the UK during a transitional period that is likely to last until 31 December 2020. During the transitional period, EU citizens and their family members can enter and remain in the UK on the same basis as they can now. The same applies to people from Norway, Iceland, Lichtenstein and Switzerland as the Government has reached similar agreements with those countries. 

    If this agreement is reached:

    Students beginning courses in 2019 and 2020

    To remain in the UK after 30 June 2021, students can apply for permission under a Government scheme known as the EU Settlement Scheme. It is free and is designed to be short and straightforward.

    Once you have begun your course, you can complete the application from a laptop, tablet or mobile device. You will need to provide proof of identity and proof of residence.

    The scheme is now open.

    Students beginning courses in 2021 and later

    Those arriving from 1 January 2021 are likely to need to apply for immigration permission to come to the UK under a category of the immigration rules that are in place at that time.

    If this agreement is not reached:

    Those who enter the UK during the transitional period will make an online application for 'European Temporary Leave to Remain'. If this application is successful, they will get immigration permission for a period of three years. If they wish to stay in the UK after this three-year period they will make an application under the immigration system in place at that time.  

    For more information: UK Council for International Student Affairs advice on what Brexit means for students and their families

  • Will I still pay the same fees as UK students and have access to loans?
    • Students beginning courses in 2019 or 2020

    Yes. EU students will be charged the same tuition fees as UK students throughout their course. They will also be able to access financial support for the duration of their course on the same basis as is available today.

    See the current fees and funding information here: Undergraduate and Postgraduate


    • Students beginning courses in 2021 or later

    For students who will begin their course in 2021 or later, including those who have deferred entry, the UK government is yet to announce its intentions with respect to any regulation of fees and the availability of any student support loans and fundingProspective applicants are advised to check this page regularly for the latest position. 

    For more information: Government statements on financial support for UK and EU students beginning courses in 2019 and in 2020

  • Will I still be able to take part in an Erasmus+ exchange?

    Yes. Lancaster University has committed to ensuring our students continue to receive the same level of Erasmus+ grant funding for their European study/work placement in 2019-20, 2020-21 and 2021-22.

    We have made this commitment to underwrite the Erasmus+ grant for Lancaster University students in light of uncertainty on whether the UK will agree the EU withdrawal bill and how that might affect Erasmus+ funding.

    There may still be changes to where students can go but we are committed to ensuring that as many Lancaster students benefit from an overseas placement as possible and we are working with our partners to ensure students’ placements can go ahead.

    Information about how students can apply for funding will be communicated directly to eligible students.   

    For more information: Lancaster University information on Erasmus+

  • If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, will my access to healthcare in the UK change?

    The UK government has confirmed that the rights of EU citizens and their family members will be protected under existing primary and secondary legislation. That means EU citizens will have continued access to domestic healthcare, education and benefits and ongoing recognition of professional qualifications.

    For more information: please check the guidance contained within the government’s No Deal Readiness Report (page 35)

I'm a UK student

I’m from outside the EU, EEA and Switzerland