Entry Requirements

Can I transfer credit from a PgDip to a Masters course?

To ask about transferring credit please contact the relevant Faculty Admissions team.

I do not graduate until later this year. Can I still apply for a course now?

Yes, we can consider an application from you before you have completed your current course of study. Please note on your application form when you will finish your course and provide your most recent transcript.

English is not my first language, do I need to take an English language test (such as IELTS or Pearson)?

Applicants whose first language is not English may be required to provide a valid English language test certificate such as IELTS, Pearson Test of English, Academic, (PTE) or Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE).

How do I take an English language test?

You would need to contact your preferred English language test provider. This would be: IELTS (www.ielts.org/) for the IELTS test, Pearson (www.pearsonpte.com) for the Pearson PTE Academic test or the University of Cambridge's ESOL section (http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams/proficiency/) for the Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) test, who will be able to advise you when and where an English language test may be taken.

Can you consider my application before receiving the results from my English language test?

Yes, we can consider your application before you have taken your English language test. If we are able to make you an offer on the basis of the other documents submitted in your application, your offer would be conditional on you achieving the required score in an English language test. 

You can provide the English language test result at any point during the application process and are not required to hold a valid score before making an application.

What happens if my English language test score is close but does not match the entry requirements?

You should contact the Postgraduate Admissions team if your English language test score does not match the entry requirement for the programme. The admissions team will be able to advise you on the options available.

Is there a pre-sessional English language test at the University?

If you are applying for a postgraduate programme at Lancaster and you have taken an approved English language test, but you have not met the minimum entry requirement for your chosen course, you may be eligible to attend one of our pre-sessional English language courses. We offer courses from 4 weeks to 40 weeks in length, depending on the level of your English when you apply. Further information can be found here.

Please note that not all departments offer all of the University’s pre-sessional English courses. To find out if you would be eligible for one of our English language preparation courses, please contact the Postgraduate Admissions team.

I have grade C or above in the Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) test, do I need to take another English language test?

No, if you have achieved a grade C or above in the Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) test we would not require you to undertake another English language test.

How long is an English language test valid for?

IELTS and Pearson PTE tests are valid for 2 years. The Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) test has no expiry date. Your English language qualification needs to be valid at the start of your programme.

Do you have any pre-Masters programmes?

We offer 3-term Pre-Masters programmes through our International Study Centre for progression to a range of postgraduate degrees. Visit our International Study Centre page for more information on courses, fees, entry requirements and progression degrees.

Back to top