Adapted accommodation for disabled students
Lancaster offers a wide range of adaptations within our managed accommodation
Adapted accommodation available at Lancaster
We currently have a variety of rooms in our portfolio that are designed for students with disabilities or special needs. They include the following:
- Wheelchair accessible rooms for students with mobility needs. Larger bathrooms accompany these in Superior Ensuite areas with handrails and shower seat, and the kitchens contain some adaptations for wheelchair users.
- Deaf adapted rooms in all types of accommodation.
- High contrast fittings for students with visual impairments.
- Bathroom adaptations for students with mobility needs that don't require a wheelchair.
- Rooms for ambulant disabled students who may require extra space but who do not require additional adaptations.
- An adapted self-contained studio for a student who desires to be more self-contained.
What to do next
If you have special requirements, please discuss them with a Disabilities Officer. When you apply for accommodation you should also note these requirements again on your application.
If you discuss your needs with us as early as possible we can try and match your requirements to suitable accommodation. If further adaptations are needed we can arrange these, within a reasonable timeframe, hence it is important that you contact us as early as possible.
If you will have a live-in helper we can arrange to accommodate them close by, though you would need to provide details when you apply.
Students who feel they would have difficulty evacuating the accommodation in the event of a fire alarm should arrange for a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) to be prepared for them, and you should contact your Accommodation Manager about this as soon as possible when you arrive. Please note that if you can’t evacuate without assistance you must arrange to have 24 hour care for yourself. We will be unable to provide you with a PEEP without this, and therefore unable to offer you a place in University managed accommodation.
The Disability Service is part of Student Services, and is on hand to assist you as you prepare to come to Lancaster.