Applications should be made through MyApplications, our online applications system for most postgraduate courses taught at Lancaster University. To apply you will need to create an account and then you can log in to start your application. You can save and return to your application as many times as you want to before you submit.
Applying for postgraduate study at Lancaster
Applications for 2020 entry are open and you don't need to wait until you finish your current studies to apply.
Check that you can use MyApplications for your chosen course
You can apply online by using MyApplications for the majority of postgraduate courses taught at Lancaster University.
You cannot use MyApplications for the following postgraduate courses:
- Clinical Psychology DClinPsy. you must apply for this course via the Clearing House for Postgraduate Courses in Clinical Psychology.
- Management (2 Year) MSc. you should apply through emlyon business school.
- International Master's Program for Managers (IMPM). you should apply through the IMPM website.
- Courses taught by Lancaster's Centre for Executive training and Development (CETAD). Email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Check the entry and English language requirements
Information about the entry and English language requirements are detailed on the course information pages.
The English language requirements vary depending on the course and department.
Prepare your supporting information
When you apply for your chosen course, you will see a list of the information and supporting documents that you need to provide in support of your application. These will vary depending on the course and some of these documents are 'essential'. If you do not submit all the essential documents it can delay us making a decision on your application.
If any of your documents are not in English you will need to provide an official English translation together with your untranslated copy.
If your documents are not currently available, you can enter a date when you expect to receive these.
Information usually required
Academic transcript and degree certificate
You will need to upload an official copy of your degree transcript to show that you meet or expect to meet the entry requirements. Your transcript needs to include the subjects that you have studied, your marks for these and confirmation of your degree award. If you have not completed your studies, please provide an interim transcript. If you are studying outside the UK and your university’s grading scale is not detailed on your transcript then you will also need to provide this.
You should tell us why you are applying for the course, what you hope to gain from your studies and how it fits in with your future plans. We recommend a maximum of 500 words.
We need two references, ideally one should be from someone who can comment on your suitability for academic study. For example, a tutor who has taught you during your previous studies. We may accept a professional reference, if you are unable to provide an academic reference.
Proof of English language ability
Depending on where you have studied and your nationality, you may need you to provide a recognised English language qualification.
The English language requirements vary by course and are detailed in the entry requirements and on our English language page.
You may be eligible for a pre-sessional English language course if you do not meet the requirements. You will need to upload a copy of your English language certificate so we can assess your eligibility.
Research proposal (research degrees only)
You should check the course entry requirements for guidance and instructions and the guidelines for writing a research proposal.
Passport (Overseas applicants only)
You will need to submit a copy of your passport if you are an international student and need a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK.
For some courses we need additional supporting information. If this is required, the documents will be listed in the evidence section on the application form and If we need any further supporting information we will let you know.
If you are a current student at Lancaster University
As a current Lancaster University student, you are guaranteed an offer on selected master's courses, provided that you meet the entry requirements.
Choosing a master's course can be an opportunity for a change of direction, if you would like to find out which courses you are eligible to study, please contact us.
- To start your application please visit MyApplications, select the Current Lancaster Students option and log in by using your Lancaster University username and password.
- Most of the personal details section will be pre-filled automatically from your student record, any sections marked with a * will need to be completed if the information has not been pre-filled.
- Select the course that you are applying to study.
- The qualifications and experience section will be pre-filled with your current study, you can edit this information if you need to add any further information.
- When you have selected and saved your chosen course, the personal statement and referees section will be greyed out if you are applying for a masters course.
- If you are applying for a masters course, the list of supporting documentation will be reduced and you won’t be asked to supply a degree transcript, degree certificate or references. If you need to provide any documentation in support of your application this will be listed, for example, some of our courses require a CV or writing sample, etc. and you can upload these here.
- Please complete the application sections that are not greyed out – these will show a green tick next to them when they are complete.
- To submit your application please confirm that you have read the declaration and our terms and conditions.
- We will send you an email to confirm that we have received your application.
If you are applying for a postgraduate research programme, you will need to apply by using MyApplications and you will need to provide the documents listed in the evidence section on the application form.
Applying for postgraduate research courses
You can apply online by using MyApplications.
If you are applying for Research Masters or Doctoral study, please ensure that the specialist area that you wish to study is covered by a member of staff at Lancaster University.
We recommend you look at the research section for your chosen area of study, a list of our departments can be found on our website.
Please let us know in your research proposal which potential supervisor you have identified so that we can make a note of this on your application.
Starting your online application
If you have not used MyApplications before then you should create an account.
If you already have a MyApplications account or if you are a current Lancaster student, you can log in to start or continue with your application.