Postgraduate students talking

Visiting Researchers

Before you start

Before you start accordion Accordion

Your first day

Report to your Department

On your first day, please report to the named contact in your department.

As you are not a paid member of staff, you will not be required to complete ‘eligibility to work’ checks, but if you are from outside the UK do bring along your passport and visa (if you have one). If you are sponsored on a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Government Authorised Exchange) visa, you will need also to report to the HR Building where we will take a copy of your passport and visa; in other cases, your department may need to keep a copy. Also, bring along a copy of your Agreement letter.

You will be set up on the University’s HR system as a visiting academic (with a title such as Visiting Professor or Visiting Researcher, for example) and this will enable you to be issued with a University card (which also serves as your Library card) and an IT account with an email address. You will need your University card to access some buildings and to enable you to print on the University’s systems.

If you have any problems, staff in your department will be able to assist.

Working at Lancaster


Finally, may we take this opportunity to wish you well for your visit and trust that you will find it productive and enjoyable.

If you should have any further questions, please contact your host department or you can reach the HR Department via