Support for Student Carers

You might find that your additional Caring responsibilities affect your studies. Here's how we can support you...

What is a Carer?

A Carer is someone who cares for or supports a family member or friend who has a disability, mental ill-health, or has age-related health concerns.

Carers are not paid, and the amount of time you spend caring for someone can vary considerably. You might spend a few hours a week going to the shops for them, or picking up a prescription, or you might need to provide around the clock care. You might only Care for someone during the Vacation periods, or share Caring responsibilities with another person.

How do you tell us?

You don’t have to tell us if you have Caring responsibilities – but it may help us to support you if and when you need it.

You can declare your Caring status on your pre-registration form, which you will complete 30 days before the start of your course. You can also let us know by contacting the Student Wellbeing Partnership Service, and we can amend your record to show that you are a Carer. You can let us know at any time during your studies, but the sooner you can tell us the better!

What happens when you tell us?

If we know that you are a Carer we can support you during your time at university. We can offer you advice and guidance, and can liaise with your department to request support for you. You can book an appointment with the Student Wellbeing Partnership Service if you would like some advice, or just want someone to talk to.

Student Carers may be eligible for the following support:

  • Advocacy and support from the Student Wellbeing Partnership Service to access support services or receive a recommendation for reasonable academic adjustments
  • A carers bursary if you need to travel to look after someone


If you are a parent you don’t automatically qualify as a Carer. You are considered a Carer if you have a child, or children, with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) or other additional needs.

Parents can check out the Lancashire County Council website for information on childcare and funding. You can also speak to Graduate College about their termly socials for parents.

Find out more on the Student Portal Guide for Student Parents and Carers.