Your law degree can open doors to a wide range of careers within, and beyond, the legal sector. We carefully devise, structure and support our degree programmes to help you prepare for the next step towards a career of your choosing.
Throughout your time at Lancaster University Law School you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop excellent subject-specific knowledge
- Enhance your range of transferable skills
- Secure practical legal experience (subject to availability of places)
- Work on your ability to speak in public, present confidently, and think on your feet
- Access a extra-curricular activities
- Gain insight into future options and be guided by a dedicated Careers Officer
All of this will help to optimise your ability to stand out in a crowded employment marketplace. Your Law degree could lead to a rewarding job in the public, private or third sector, such as:
- Practising lawyer (Barrister or Solicitor; In-house lawyer; Goverment Legal Service; CPS; Law Centre work; CAB; Court personnel; Clerk in Chambers)
- Accountancy and taxation
- Civil service
- European Commission
- Court reporting
- Military/Military legal services
- Political/Governmental career
- Legal education
Wider roles with a need for legal understanding include: Legal Recruitment Consultant, Chartered Company Secretary, Compliance Officer and Investment Banker.
Some of our graduates go on to Graduate Training Schemes or pursue opportunities with: Civil Service, Ministry of Justice, Probation Service, HM Courts and Tribunal Service, HMRC, Local Government and Trading Standards.
An undergraduate degree can also lead on to further study or academia and we have a wide range of postgraduate programmes.
Lancaster University is dedicated to ensuring you not only gain a highly reputable degree, but that you also graduate with relevant life and work based skills. We are unique in that every student is eligible to participate in The Lancaster Award which offers you the opportunity to complete key activities such as work experience, employability/career development, campus community and social development. Visit our Employability section for full details.